VW and the pedal box issue?!

My pedal box is about to give up, car is barely drivable now.

So went down to the new VW service centre that has just opened in my town to book it in to get fixed. I mentioned to the guy about it being a common fault and that I know of instances where VW have picked up the bill and he just looked at me blankly and said that he know nothing about that and questioned my diagnostic of the problem!

He then went to check with a mechanic and came back saying that he can't do anything about vw paying and I would be best to contact VW's main 0800 service number about this.

Has anyone else had to go through the main service line or just go into their dealer and bring the issue up?

He also said that if it didn't have a full vw service history they wouldn't want to know which i thought was strange. (it has full vw bar one which was by a suzuki garage where i bought the car from).

Any advice so I can arm myself ready to speak to them tomorrow would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

got mine done straight away, I told them the pedal box was broke, and they said "yeah, it's a common problem... when would be convienient for you?"

is there another dealer you could try?

and they didn't check my service history

I checked with the main dealer in cardiff and they said it was covered on my w reg 99/00 sport. untill they saw the car that was.. i told them with the dashboard missing it would just make their job easier but they didn't want to know blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

have done it myself now, with a bit of help. not a job anyone would really want to do. the funny thing is im not sure it even needed doing... the box I took out wasx the original part after 118.5k miles ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> . still have a new clutch and throttle cable now and it feels a lot better.

Edited by Petrified

I changed my pedal box on my 2000 lupo sport and its not a job for the faint harted wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

My local dealer wauld have done mine if i had known about it being a recall issue angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

Edited by VWR Lupo

I'm not too worried about doing the job myslef as I've just shoehorned a 2.0 gti6 engine in to my track 205 so a pedal box shouldn't be too hard in comparison. I just don't have the time to do it, especially if VW are going to pay for it!

How long does the job typically take? Can it be done in an evening or 2 cos I could really do with the car on the 2nd of June for a 200 mile trip that I don't fancy doing in the 205!

Will ring around a couple of others in the area first and see what they have to say.

Edited by Dixon

It took me most of the day to change because you have to remove the steering columb and its held on by sheer bolts which are a pain to remove and you will break the white clip that holds the servo ball to the break pedal angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

mine's a 51 plate, it's not a re-call, but it's listed as "warrenty" work on my invoice...

then again, it also says "POLO" under the car section on above invoice coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

its not a recall, its a workshop campaign, which is different. this means that the dealer sorts it out without issuing a recall letter when the car comes in for a service. so far, all the members on here who's cars i have checked for this have been covered by vw warranty.

• 10 months later...
its not a recall, its a workshop campaign, which is different. this means that the dealer sorts it out without issuing a recall letter when the car comes in for a service. so far, all the members on here who's cars i have checked for this have been covered by vw warranty.

My Son's car has gone in to the dealer today for this issue and they have confirmed the problem is with the pedal box.

Currently they are contacting VW regarding a good will contribution.

I'm interested to know why a car might be excluded from VW's warranty ?

The car is a 2000/W reg, 1.0E and has covered 48 - 49,000 miles.

does volkswagen have a recall number? vauxhall did and i phoned up, and had my subframes for the seats replaced, just gave them my reg over the phone, and they organised an appointment.

Well, we have had a phone call from the VW dealer to say that the car is now fixed and ready for collection.

However, since the car is seven years old (2000/W - 49,000 miles) VW have declined to contribute.

Cost £255.49

p.s. My wife was also told that the pedal box problem only affects Polo's

What they say is once the car is five years old, they dont make a contribution.

Its a joke.

Dagnammit!! Mines coming up 116500miles and is 7 years old.

Hopefully i'll be able to sort this by VW when mine gives up.

my car is five years old and has 50,000 miles. i just told them what i wanted them to do and like the good people they are they just rolled over, had to drive around in a stupid 1.2 fox for a day like.

i emailed local VW service dept on wednesday. he asked for my mobile number and registrastion. he called me back and told me there is no recall work. and they could not do anything. he told me it was most likely the clutch cable, from the symptons i described.

not a happy chappy...

i had to hassle vwuk for a while to get the costs back but after a month or so i recieved a phone call saying they were going to give me a full refund but i had to go ahead and get it fixed then got the money back later

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd mention that my pedal box broke on friday on my polo 1.4 so I dropped the car in to the local garage (not VW) and it wasn't until I did some hunting around on the net to see this forum and another mention the same problem. I got the garage to stop any work and told VW the problem I had and that I thought there might have been a recall on it. The guy was really helpful and said that they needed the car to look at it and could apply to VW for a contribution...as it turned out although the recall wasn't on my 1.4 model they agreed to pay the whole thing, no questions asked. The car I should add is now 8 years old...I printed a copy of the recall notice from http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp and took it with me to VW.

BTW, don't recommend driving far with a knackered pedal box although it does make for an interesting journey!

If anyone is interested I got mine fixed at Haywards Heath Caffyns

i had to hassle vwuk for a while to get the costs back but after a month or so i recieved a phone call saying they were going to give me a full refund but i had to go ahead and get it fixed then got the money back later

You got it done? where? mines been done in a VAG garage. is there a chance ill get my money back from vw? please help :S

• 6 months later...
Just thought I'd mention that my pedal box broke on friday on my polo 1.4 so I dropped the car in to the local garage (not VW) and it wasn't until I did some hunting around on the net to see this forum and another mention the same problem. I got the garage to stop any work and told VW the problem I had and that I thought there might have been a recall on it. The guy was really helpful and said that they needed the car to look at it and could apply to VW for a contribution...as it turned out although the recall wasn't on my 1.4 model they agreed to pay the whole thing, no questions asked. The car I should add is now 8 years old...I printed a copy of the recall notice from http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp and took it with me to VW.

BTW, don't recommend driving far with a knackered pedal box although it does make for an interesting journey!

Hi I have the same problem... I rang Sinclair Garages in Swansea and they mentioned they were not going to pay full contribution unless it had VW service history, first hand ownership, etc. etc.

Any tips on how to go about this from your experience?

Hi I have the same problem... I rang Sinclair Garages in Swansea and they mentioned they were not going to pay full contribution unless it had VW service history, first hand ownership, etc. etc.

• 7 months later...

Hiya

Mine is on it's way out. Rang 2 VW dealers, one in Swansea, one just outside Swansea. One told me no way to any freebies, the other offered a reduced repair as I get mine serviced there annually.

Did you get anywhere with this? Even if I have to pay and can get the money back somehow, that would be something.

• 1 month later...

Ive jsut had the clutch pedal go as well, jyst spoken to the Oxford VW dealer and he said they wont contribute because it doesnt have full service history. £366 they want all in to repair it.

did everyone who got it free of money back have full service history?