Best material to use in home made airbox?

Tigz™

After looking at the prices of race spec carbon airboxs I've decided to make my own.

I'm going to "borrow" This design for use with my jenvey throttle bodies.

I'm using 25mm air horns, so it would leave me around 75mm from intake to top of the airbox.

The build itself I think I've figured out, one thing I'm unsure of is what to use as the filter.

The easiest solution I think would be foam, but I'm unsure if this is the best material to use.

Anyone got any experience or knowledge of what I should be looking at using?

Edited by Tigz

After looking at the prices of race spec carbon airboxs I've decided to make my own.

I'm going to "borrow" This design for use with my jenvey throttle bodies.

I'm using 25mm air horns, so it would leave me around 75mm from intake to top of the airbox.

The build itself I think I've figured out, one thing I'm unsure of is what to use as the filter.

The easiest solution I think would be foam, but I'm unsure if this is the best material to use.

Anyone got any experience or knowledge of what I should be looking at using?

there are a few ways to do this, one is the full race way and dont fit a filter but thats not practical for the road, another is to make your air box large enough to fit a flat panel filter inside it,say a K&N, so you would have the air enrty into the box then it goes through the flat panel filter and meets up with your inlet trumpets. The next one is a little more expensive, i'm trying to remember where we got the filters for the F3 cars because they are tapered,they start at 70mm diameter at the base and taper down to 15mm, they are about 150-200mm long and are designed to fit inside the tubing that feeds the airbox. it could have been ITG but mental block has hit me!

EDITED TO ADD

just found a picture of one very similar, its the tall one on the left, you could even get some foam sheet and make this yourself,use evo-stick to glue the seams.

image01.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

What, so just roll up and glue some foam so it fits into the tubing and across the airbox?

Then just oil the foam like and induction kit?

get some flat foam sheet, ideally two grades, one fairly course, course enough to be able to see your hand on the other side and another finer grade that you cant see through yet isnt a restriction when you blow through it, put your hand on the other side as you blow, if you can feel the air then thats enough. cut the material so you can make a long (200mm) tapered cone from it and also you need to get the diameter of the large end to match the internal diameter of your feed tube,5mm larger is better,dont stick the sheets together! now take the fine sheet and roll it into the cone shape and stick the seams together with glue, let it cure, now wrap the course foam around the fine cone and stick its seams together.trim the length and neaten each end and apply a fine bead of glue around each end to bond the two sheets together.thats your filter, now all thats left is to put it into your feed pipe and stick the large end to the tube,put it somewhere that you can easily get to it to clean and oil. hope that lot makes sense!

edited, to add the pic of the shape to cut totrpzd3.gif border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

lmao gonna get started tommorrow, was working today, then got the baby dropped on my knee when I got home! lol

hope you have fun! i have been looking at the pics of said baby, very cute bet your putty in her little fingers. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

A point that was raised on another forum.

Any of the points valid?

Be very careful with airboxes as they can loss you power, torque and drivablity

For a start, use aluminium to make the box out of and not carbon, fibreglass or plastic. This has been proven to work best on a dyno. The test engine was a Cosworth YB non-turbo and actually made 5BHP more power on the aluminium box compared to the carbon one.

There are some formulas for the distance between the end of the trumpets and the air box, and the minimum air filter area required too.

I'll see if i can dig out some of my uni research to help you. HTH

A point that was raised on another forum.

Any of the points valid?

there are always people that say and do the opposite to each other! the first thing i would sat is that the difference between a carbon air box and an aluminium version is most certainly not 5bhp, no way what so ever! if this was the case every formula 1 car would have an alloy intake system!! dont worry about it, just get lots of air into the box and dont create any bottle necks.

Dont use foam unless your gona get ITG to do you a custom size/shape filter.

Speaking to the K&N rep a while back and he's not one to lie, He was actually condeming K&N Filters for performance lol...

He said that the only people who can make a foam filter that works, are ITG. Otherwise stear clear.

Bottle necks?

Think about the shape of a bottle neck...

Basically a mass concentration of air coming in, with a restrictive part (like a bottle neck) slowing and reducing the airflow.

Dont use foam unless your gona get ITG to do you a custom size/shape filter.

Speaking to the K&N rep a while back and he's not one to lie, He was actually condeming K&N Filters for performance lol...

he always slates his own stuff, always has,its his way of selling you the idea that he's genuine. He has got a cool plate on his car though! Foam filtration is far more efficient at flowing air than the cotton weave that ken and nige make,BUT they do need maintaning and a good qaulity oil on them. foam filters got a bad name many years ago at their amazing ability to catch fire when the carb let a flame rip through,hence people looked towards cotton weave as its not as energetic at spontanious combustion and does actually filter better but at the cost of air flow/volume efficiency. I'd go with a foam filter first time everytime. every race team i have ever worked for has used a foam filter of sorts and its for a very good reason, POWER as clarkson would say!

i dont know much bout this but thought the last throttle bodie might be short on air in this sort of box because bmw nissan and toyota all taper there inlets like this m3 one on there sports cars

pic_cg11.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Edited by noddy1