Camshafts

tshirt2k

Is it worth spending around £600 on the Schrick 256 cams then? Is there a noticable gain to be had?

Without anything else you will gain .... nothing

I have done it to my polo gti without anything else no it doesn't work well

I am talking for 2 hp gain and loss of torque in low revs....

Without anything else you will gain .... nothing

I have done it to my polo gti without anything else no it doesn't work well

I am talking for 2 hp gain and loss of torque in low revs....

Already have BMC and exhaust + No cat. Cams are the next step plus remap. So is it worth the £600 then?

Hello lupo people and some polos!

Im in two minds weather or not to cam, have head work done and update my custom code to maybe something AMD can do, (polo GTi)

Or 1.8T the little Polo!

Spoke to stealth racing today and they said they can only get schrick 244 cams for the AVY engine, am i right in sayin that this profile will do piss all to my 140bhp that i already have?

Does anyone know if CAT or KENT cams do different profiles?

Maybe im thinkin that the only option is the turbo engine put would love to take the polo to its limits without the aid off a charger or turbo!

As far as I remember, a member who spent 6 months of his time at work calling/emailing/begging company's all over Europe found the largest cams available for a GTI lump was 252 which as stated above, wont do much at all.

He found the only real way, would be to get some made to spec.

Before this could be done, the exhaust and head work needed to be done, and the car mapped.

Then the cams could be made to match, and then you et the car mapped again.

I forget the whole story I'll drop him a pm and ask what it was.

Edited by Tigz

I gave up trying to get more power from my car over a year ago now (hence spanking the cash on the mini and the motorbike). Either there aren't the parts available "there's not much call for that mate" or the prices quoted are as stupid as I am

The situation for me 12-18 months ago was:

Only Shcrick do (did) aftermarket off-the-shelf cams. 252 or 255 (can't remember) is the most extreme Schrick do with a variable intake cam to suit AVY engine. As Dogwood says up there ^^^ this could be to do with Schricks opinion of the strength and quality of the valvegear. Also, some suppliers want nearly £700 a pair ffs. Cheapest I found was Badger who wanted about £580 I think

Kent cams did indeed say they could make some cams for me, it would take 10-14 days and cost £1200-1400

Also, they said there's no point in them doing the cams without having a remap, which they wouldn't or couldn't do, as fuelling and timing would still be standard and gains would be minimal, and there's not a lot of point in having a remap without having had the cams replaced, so it was very much catch 22

Sorg were all keen to tell me what they could supply and what that could do, but they wouldn't let me buy any of it

TSR weren't interested

Stealth practically slammed the phone down on me as soon as I mentioned anything other than a Golf

JBS wanted £3500 for zorst and cams - yeah OK

T shirt - I've probably thrown all the various bits of paper away but i seem to remember std cams are exhaust 228 duration, inlet being 209-225. I suspect those figures have been corrupted by time and beer, but they not far off

Edited by twisty b-road

Sorg were all keen to tell me what they could supply and what that could do, but they would let me buy any of it

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I so miss comments like that shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

• 2 months later...
The limitation on the GTI is the roller rockers. The actual design is not the problem (E46 M3 is similar), its the quality of the parts. They are apparently just pressed steel and come to bits at high revs.

Sorry to drudge up a slightly late post...

but i have a GTI Engine in my garage

where the roller rocker system, has exploded and sprayed itself all over the inside of head

the tappets (or whatever they call them on this design) have literally exploded, two of them!

what was the cause of it breaking up ?

its no good saying that the quality of the items was the fault ... i can get a set of pauter rods/ carillo's whatever , and turn them into soup at the bottom of the sump in seconds just by running the engine lean once

have you noticed the size of the hole in the roller rocker sprayer ? all you need is a very small bit of dirt to get stuck in there and the roller will seize and 'explode' like you say

some say the max rpm limit of the gti head is 8000 rpm... so that means the cams would be turning at 4000rpm, if you look at the moving pieces on the head there is very little reciprocating weight that has to be moved , the only thing other than dirt that i can think to cause a head to brake would be floating valves .. but some springs would easily sort that out

the actual lift is what 10-12 mm ? and you saying that 4ishmm steel cant handle that at 4000rpm? hmmmm

imo summing else broke that head, like the pistons hitting the valves? ... are the two tappetts sitting next to each other in one cylinder ?

Edited by Blackrat

what was the cause of it breaking up ?

its no good saying that the quality of the items was the fault ... i can get a set of pauter rods/ carillo's whatever , and turn them into soup at the bottom of the sump in seconds just by running the engine lean once

have you noticed the size of the hole in the roller rocker sprayer ? all you need is a very small bit of dirt to get stuck in there and the roller will seize and 'explode' like you say

some say the max rpm limit of the gti head is 8000 rpm... so that means the cams would be turning at 4000rpm, if you look at the moving pieces on the head there is very little reciprocating weight that has to be moved , the only thing other than dirt that i can think to cause a head to brake would be floating valves .. but some springs would easily sort that out

the actual lift is what 10-12 mm ? and you saying that 4ishmm steel cant handle that at 4000rpm? hmmmm

imo summing else broke that head, like the pistons hitting the valves? ... are the two tappetts sitting next to each other in one cylinder ?

im not saying i know what caused it

the tappets didnt end up next to each other, one of them has ceased to exist as it is probably around 11 or 12 pieces

the Valves did not hit the pistons,

Agreed with Clifford. There is no limiting factor on the GTI head, from an engineering perspective.

Last time I looked at the Schrick Catalogue, they offered two variants of race spec cams aswell for the AVY GTI setup. Which comes with new uprated valve springs, new spring retainers, and new cam follwers as a kit. £300 for a single 8v camshaft is the going rate (has been for years), so £600 for a twin cam 16v setup is only logical. The 1200 Euro's Schrick charge for their Group A Race spec cam kit is cheap in my opinion. Baring in mind, horsepower gains are not cheap... and consumable parts, such as cam follwers, need to be changed when installing new cams wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

nasty ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

bloody ell, i hope i never get to see one of them like that biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

somthing had to have hit it, as its a non moving part, well non oscillating anyways (once pressure has built up and the piston has reached it max, you know what i mean)

what about the actual roller piece ? you got a pic of that too ?

probably the roller piece is fine

only problem was it ended up about 3 inches away from its broken tappet,

(this all has happened with the engine running by the way)

and the roller/rocker has ended up next to another roller rocker (still working) and has been knocked about and has mullered parts of the head

im pretty sure that one broke, then that took out the other one