Camshafts

tshirt2k

ask the new german guy to tell ya

Sascha-Oliver from Cologne wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by noddy1

Camshaft VW 16V smaller block 4 Cyl. 4 Valve roller follower (Polo, Lupo etc.)

4.69/9.0 E 244/ /107 15-49- 0.7 hydr. € 289

4.69/9.0 A /244/107 -49-15 0.7 hydr. € 289

I think thats the one for the GTI dure to the diffrent cam timeings suggesting VVT.

Opening square E/A/Spreizung

Id imagen thats the profile, as I think the GTI standard is under 130 profile?

Control times °KW Eö-Es Aö-As

Thats the lift I think.

Other than that I havn't a clue.

Have you Contactted them incase anyone there speaks English?

I think Dogwood would understand it, think he knows about cams.

I think they are inlet and exhaust.

It looks like opening square is duration ie 256, 264, 280 and 292

Not sure what control times are but i think valve stroke is lift.

Camshaft VW 16V smaller block 4 Cyl. 4 Valve Hydr. Bucket tappet( Polo, Lupo etc.)

Opening square Control times°KW Valve stroke Valve play Price

in mm E/A in mm

9.5 E 256/ /112 16-60- 0.6 hydro. € 317

9.5 A /256/112 -60-16 0.7 hydro. € 317

10.0 E 264/ /110 22-62- 1.1 hydro. € 317

10.0 A /264/110 -62-22 1.2 hydro. € 317

10.4 E 280/ /110 33-67- 3.0 hydro. € 317

10.4 A /280/110 -67-33 3.0 hydro. € 317

11.6 E 292/ /104 42-70- 4.2 hydro. € 317

11.6 A /292/104 -72-42 4.2 hydro. € 317

What sort of engine characteristics would these cams give? ie Idle and would it be a pig to drive.

It seems the 256 cam is the mildest and people said they wanted a more extreme duration.

Dubya said his were 285 and the idle was lumpy, but his dyno showed impressive power, not sure where the torque came in.

I would be looking for more power but dont want to make it undriveable. Any ideas?

Edited by tshirt2k

I think that would be a good place to start and also a remap .If it seems like its suffocating due to inlet restrictions then possibly mods to the inlet would come next.

The key for me would be driveabilty. I think 160hp is possible without TB's. If i get greedy for power that would be the next step.

Anyone know what standard cam specs are, ie: duration, lift, timings.etc?

Edited by tshirt2k

From what Ive read (un-confirmed) the 1600 engine has given someone 180hp on standard induction, with only headwork, cams and a touch of mapping.

Im also sure the GTI has a really low cam profile, I forget the correct figures, but Im sure it was either just under or just over the 130 mark.

Think there was a thread on it on uk-polo

Breal fitted 256 profile cams to his Sport, he said there was no noticable difffrence.

Where as Ross got a pretty large 150hp through his cam and headwork also using a 256 profile set.

Drop Dogwood a pm, I think hes using a set of 280+ profile cams in his 1600 Polo.

The cams you've listed are for an AFH motor which runs conventional type valvegear. I use the kit that includes the 292's listed. To give you an idea, the power comes in strong at about 6500, peaks at about 8400 and holds well to 9000 revs.

Pretty much everything everybody sells is done by Schrick. The biggest i've seen listed for the Lupo GTI motor ie. variable inlet, roller rockers is 260 inlet, 252 exhaust with 10mm of lift. See wl-motorsport.de. Go to Polo tuning, then nockenwelle.

Schrick will be at the Autosport show in January so I will have a bit crack with them then.

The RSG Lupos that run in the DTC run different pistons, cams, headwork, 4-2-1 manifold, sports cat, race system, BMC type induction, variable inlet as standard, mapped to suit make about 180bhp.

I reckon 165 - 170bhp is achievable for a road engine no problem.

that would suit me. do you reckon its possible without touchin the bottom end?

Ilooked at that site, are all gti's variable? The camshafts have different inlet and exhaust durations. I have know idea how this would affect power curve. You could buy the one with the highest numbers and it may be the worst choice for whats required. All Very confusing confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Edited by tshirt2k

If I remember correctly its only one of the cams that has the vvt, can't remember if it was the exhaust or inlet but I think it would be the inlet. I had 256s on mine and it made a difference top end, I had some head work done also, for th emoney you have to splash out for the bits/labour I would say it is min gains for max £££. It would work well with a performance manifolds I guess though!!!If I were to have a loop again I'd try making it go faster by lightening it/improving road holding and uprating the brakes. Way to go I think!!

Edited by gargoil

• 2 weeks later...
The RSG Lupos that run in the DTC run different pistons, cams, headwork, 4-2-1 manifold, sports cat, race system, BMC type induction, variable inlet as standard, mapped to suit make about 180bhp.

I reckon 165 - 170bhp is achievable for a road engine no problem.

These lupos use the 260-252 cams?

Spoke to Schrick at the Autosport show on Friday. The 244 exhaust cam plus 260 inlet works best with otherwise standard or only slightly modded motors. The 252 exhaust is the one for a more modded motor eg. headwork, induction, manifold, system, remap.

The limitation on the GTI is the roller rockers. The actual design is not the problem (E46 M3 is similar), its the quality of the parts. They are apparently just pressed steel and come to bits at high revs.

Mr. Schrick said he would not go beyond 7500rpm.

I guess this is the reason why they don't do anything bigger on the cam front.

My guess is that RSG use some uprated rockers as there motors run to 8500rpm, but where they are from I don't know.

Sorg also do a DTC spec engine, so it may be worth trying to find out what they use.

just had a proper read of that puma racing link.

so does anyone know how good standard VW cams are?

They say on that link peugeot ones are good so an aftermarket wont give a huge increase. I have heard honda also make good standard internals which are hard to improve on.

my collegues at work are trying to convince me to get new cams and pullys, but i dont want to unless theres a good chance its going to be worth it.

from what Ive read (not confermed) the sport has a 248 profile cam as standard.

So unless your going for a lumpy cam its possably not work the cash.

A chap on here had a bit of head work, and fitted a set of 252s the throttle felt more responcive, but he didnt think the car was any quicker.

Then again, his car never got remapped.