Lupo Spaceframe Build

1 Litre Screamer

This might be stoopid, assuming you're retaining the Lupo FWD legs and hubs up front, what holds the front wheels on without the drive shafts? Wouldnt the drive flanges just come off?

darren, i am glad you came back - don't lose the faith of us proper enthuiasts on the site. there are a few idiots, but i tend to ignore them now!

this is gonna be absolutely stunning! to think you could have spent £850k on a veryon to get to 60 that fast! how embarassed is the guy gonna be when he's left for dead by a lupo!!!

This might be stoopid, assuming you're retaining the Lupo FWD legs and hubs up front, what holds the front wheels on without the drive shafts? Wouldnt the drive flanges just come off?

I wondered when this would be asked! its simple really. Take the front shafts out, remove the cv joint from inside the axle and machine the cv socket off the stub. this leaves a nice neat stub axle to fit back in place. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

I would trawl through 29 pages to find this out but what do you estimate the total dry weight to be of the car when finished?

Its expected to be less than 400kg. If its not then more will be taken off and cut out!

By the sound of it this will be making mince meat of that wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
yep as i said that was a mini with the 1.0 R lump but there is minis on the forum with the same lumps going even faster blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />
i'm hoping to be alot quicker than 4.5 seconds to 60mph, as wayne pointed out, this was with a car thats alot heavier than my lupo and also the r1 engine has alot less power and torque than the zx12 so going on the figures and mass of the car it should be getting times of 2.5 to 3.5 seconds to 60. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />
yep youve alot more power but the main difference with the minis was launching them right and getting traction a few guys with the kit cars and minis have cheated and used slicks which as you know drastically reduce loss of traction but this isnt an option with your daily driver if you ever wanted to use it in the wet blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

should be damn good though

As far as the chains go wayne, I have seen a chain snap on a mini as he launched from the line. Lets just say it was sliced and diced very easily!
yep know what you mean looks damn nasty ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />
I can see the first time i take the car to a meet there will be a line forming for joy rides, after the first person has got out the line will dissappear. Vomit central. wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />
yep ill be the early and first in line laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
Its expected to be less than 400kg. If its not then more will be taken off and cut out!

if you cut any more out there will be nothing left except a roll cage laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> youll have people coming up saying "and what shell did this used to have then?" laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

wayne

• 4 weeks later...
Any more news? I am truly gripped by this project and was just wondering where your up to now.

J coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

I'm at a little bit of a stand still at the moment, Currently busy building the race cars ready for the start of the season so my loop has had to take the back seat for a few weeks. I'll be back to it soon though.

you never did get back to me about the filter! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

ahh yeah! i forgot about that! oops huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> are you going to ud this weekend?

• 1 month later...
just thought id dig this one back out! - any updates darren?

shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

ha theres my thread. I havent made that much more progress on the car as i'm busy doing the race cars, but it has allowed to me to get the rest of the parts i need for the suspension and drivetrain. I have also decided on a few other little mods that will really change things but they will be kept to myself until the car appears. Dont ask when but it will appear!!!

1 LS: Can I ask when is your car going to appear?

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Sorry. Couldn't resist. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Ray

so then. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> how much for your old exhaust? tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I'll check to see if i have it. dont think i have but i can tell you how to make one.

• 1 month later...

Just a little update.

Looking at the pictures it doesnt actually look like much has been done but it has, the back of the shell is now supported and the spaceframe is starting to taking shape. Next will be to cut the remaining floor out, which is ready to be removed, i just need the time to get it done.

FRONTSIDE.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

SIDEBACK.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

DSC01573.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Poor Boris! Hardly anything left....

Looks very exciting though, how long till the engine can go in? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

He is still there in spirit! Hopefully the engine will be sat in place on the next visit to leeds, i would have had it in for a dry run but i ran out of steel. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

good pics. what plans have you got for the doors and bonnet? stripped internals, and fixed perspex? frp bonnet?

The doors and tailgate are having all of the internal skins cut out, this will leave just the frame itself and the outer skin, i have 3mm perspex window kit for it with small slide holes, so saving on the winding mech's too, its all suprisingly heavy.

As for the bonnet, i have a very light carbonfibre bonnet that will be jumping on to the car, this is light but will be made even lighter with a few extra holes and some sanding to thin out the material.

Mitch-

loving it, so is the motor going into a bolt is subframe?

Thanks! the engine is sitting on 2 bars that have yet to be put in, they will be fixed bars that extend out from the bottom main hoop. On these bars will be 2 vertical bars that hold the rear of the engine as on the bike aswell as 2 drop bars from the fixed diagonal above to support the front of the engine as they do tend to move around alot in cars and normally crack the gearbox casing then sieze! dont want any of that going on.

good.

is this going to be road registered/legal? when i stripped my micra i removed all the lights and had it for daytime use only which you are allowed to do. saves a lot of weight from wiring loom and light units etc which can be blanked off, or used for ducting.

good.

is this going to be road registered/legal? when i stripped my micra i removed all the lights and had it for daytime use only which you are allowed to do. saves a lot of weight from wiring loom and light units etc which can be blanked off, or used for ducting.

It will be fully road legal and have lights! i am making a new loom so i can use very thin wire and only put in what is needed.