Lupo Spaceframe Build

1 Litre Screamer

I'm a newbie here - just read this entire thread, I have been gripped by what you have achieved and really want to know if you have succeeded in getting the car light as a feather and fast as f@@k!!

Come back on here and give us an update. People like you inspire others.

Keep up the good work and let us all know what your up to.

After being told about the comments and posts asking for updates i have decided to come back on and post, it will probably only be on this thread for a while until faith is restored but i'll keep you all updated. The loop has under gone a huge change recently, its now halfway into the space frame fabrication.

A massive design change was undertaken last week, i have decided to not go with the chain drive but have chosen a rather more reliable and more sane approach. The engine is going to turn 90 degrees and mount directly to a BMW M3 diff, this will do away with having to change a £170 chain every thousand miles.

Thanks to all of you peeps that asked for me back, its nice to know there are still genuine club lupo enthusiasts out there.

Some of the spaceframe tacked in place, the main 2 tubes in the bulkhead ( the larger tubes mounted horizontal) are both the load bearing tubes that will take all of the push from the back wheels!

rearin.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Starting to cut out the left inner wing sections, these are very heavy gauge steel which was a suprise.

sideinnercutting.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The left inner panel removed, the car back in the garage as it was so cold outside.

sidecut.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Boris in his bed for the next few days.

borisinhome.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Good work Daz smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Looks like its coming along nicely. How many more weekends till you can test fit the engine?

Good work Daz smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Looks like its coming along nicely. How many more weekends till you can test fit the engine?

I plan to get the diff and a few new smaller covers for the engine within the next week or two. Once i have those i can start making the lower rails for the engine and diff to mount to. i hope to have the engine dry fitted before the end of the month. (fingers crossed) blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

good to see you back smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> looking good as well. as i have and many others have said this is an awesome project and an inspiration to many people.

keep up the good work

After being told about the comments and posts asking for updates i have decided to come back on and post, it will probably only be on this thread for a while until faith is restored but i'll keep you all updated. The loop has under gone a huge change recently, its now halfway into the space frame fabrication.
nice to see you back and updating shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> and the cage fabrication is looking good

as i and others have said above there is some complete morrons out there who treat the forum more like a bragging ground than anything else but just ignore them they will learn the hard way one day laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I have decided to not go with the chain drive but have chosen to mount it directly to a BMW M3 diff, this will do away with having to change a £170 chain every thousand miles.
sounds a good inventive way only thing that would concern me is why Z cars (the mini cionverters) havent ever done it this way so im assumning theres some downside? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />
Thanks to all of you peeps that asked for me back, its nice to know there are still genuine club lupo enthusiasts out there.
Daz its people like you and cars like yours which really show what can be done with cars and generally give something differnt to the car scene yours will most probably be worth all the meither when you drive it and i have no doubt it will be a crowd puller at any shows you chose to take it to shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> if you hurry up you could bring it to UD in march laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Oh and iv updated the MINi forum thread for you as they were asking if there was any progress

Your page on TMF

wayne

just r4ead the thread from page one, cool idea indeed and cant wait t see the finished project. dont think your crazy, would be crazy for someone like me to attempt it without a clue! hope all goes well man and ignore the people who dont get why a modified car is modified, to make it original and your own!

looks alright i suppose darren... rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />...taking your time though arnt you?!?! hehe laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Looking good Darren, still think your mad tho tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

And good to see you back, i missed you sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Thanks for the replies folks, Luke, even without a diff you wouldnt catch me, your car would be way to heavy with nappies and baby buggy!

@ Wayne, i think the reason zcars dont run this type of differential is simply to do with the awkwardness of mounting the engine longitudal rather than transverse. I have done some work on trying to find a downside to it but thats the only thing I could come up with. to get around this I simply need to shorten and baffle the sump and maybe fit an accusump system to maintain the oil pressure in the event of mega G cornering. If need be then i'll make it dry sumped but i reallly dont want the costs involved with that.

The biggest advantage of fitting the Bimmer diff is simply its size and the limited slip, plus the lack of £170 every 1000miles.

I think I need you to come round and help me fix mine - swapping a few bits of plastic, metal and a radiator is going to seem like childsplay after this project! huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

I can't wait till its finished....hurry up! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by lunalupi

Looks and sounds as if things are moving on at a decent pace darren smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Can't wait for the next update! Good to see that you hadnt dissapeared completely into oblivion.

Looks and sounds as if things are moving on at a decent pace darren smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Can't wait for the next update! Good to see that you hadnt dissapeared completely into oblivion.

He will be disappearing into the oblivion when it's running though laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

It's going to shift somewhat and surprise many folks on trackdays

looks alright i suppose darren... rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />...taking your time though arnt you?!?! hehe laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
roflmao.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflmao:" border="0" alt="roflmao.gif" />
i think the reason zcars dont run this type of differential is simply to do with the awkwardness of mounting the engine longitudal rather than transverse. I have done some work on trying to find a downside to it but thats the only thing I could come up with. to get around this I simply need to shorten and baffle the sump and maybe fit an accusump system to maintain the oil pressure in the event of mega G cornering. If need be then i'll make it dry sumped but i reallly dont want the costs involved with that.

The biggest advantage of fitting the Bimmer diff is simply its size and the limited slip, plus the lack of £170 every 1000miles.

they did one two engine in the rear both driving one wheel each RWD obvoiusly and i think this required the situation them being sideways (longitudinaly) but ill try find the mag tommorrow swear they didnt mention a diff thats what i thought so different about when you mentioned a diff when it was going to be FWD

aside from the cost im sure you will also be aware its apparently quite bitch to cange them and there has been a few kit car instances where the chains have snapped on repeated hard starts (like santapod as suggested) which can cause further damage

It's going to shift somewhat and surprise many folks on trackdays

Should be silly quick theres guys with R1 minis doing 60 in 4.5 seconds not much in bike terms but in car terms its friggin quick i want a go when its finished laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> that will surprise me enough blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

wayne

R1 minis doing 60 in 4.5 seconds not much in bike terms but in car terms its friggin quick

By the sound of it this will be making mince meat of that wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

i'm hoping to be alot quicker than 4.5 seconds to 60mph, as wayne pointed out, this was with a car thats alot heavier than my lupo and also the r1 engine has alot less power and torque than the zx12 so going on the figures and mass of the car it should be getting times of 2.5 to 3.5 seconds to 60. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

As far as the chains go wayne, I have seen a chain snap on a mini as he launched from the line. Lets just say it was sliced and diced very easily!

I can see the first time i take the car to a meet there will be a line forming for joy rides, after the first person has got out the line will dissappear. Vomit central. wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

2.5 to 3.5 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> flipping heck! pant wetting spead, you better go buy a couple of pairs of brown cord trousers for sure!!! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edited by Little Green Giant

dam shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

nice project mate, this is gonna be a fast ass beast! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />