Bonnets

Blue Loop

There's no way it'd be titanium. It'd cost more than the rest of the car

well this is a good idea if you get bonnet and doors and tailgate of a gti then you get rid of more pounds but just a bonnet is a waste of time and money wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Are you sure the tailgate is on a GTI is aluminuim? I thought it was just the bonet, wings and doors. The reason I ask is that I've just had the VW badge removed from my tailgate and a plate welded in its place...I'm sure they would have charged more if they were welding aluminuim

well buddy thats what i have been told but maybe wrong as dont have a gti myself one of these guys will know tho

the tailgate on the 3L was a combo of aluminium and magnesium. Magnesium was also used in the steering wheel!

by the way does anyone here have a link to sites in the UK for a carbon bonnet for the Lupo, as we don't have them here in Holland sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Ah used google and found some in the UK, they are all priced about the same, shame shipping is murder. However they all have the cut-out for the VW logo in the grill and I have a Kamei badgeless grill. Are there carbon bonnets without the cut-out available????

try a company called all smiles they will make you one to your spec wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Sorry about the tread hijack, but...

Arvid, got any recent pics of your car? I never did see it finished.

Back on topic -I swear the GTi has a steel tail gate.

And why, with all this "weight saving" is the GTi the heaviest petrol model?

B)-->

QUOTE(adam b @ Nov 7 2005, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Back on topic -I swear the GTi has a steel tail gate.

And why, with all this "weight saving" is the GTi the heaviest petrol model?

Defo alloy boot , heavy i really dont know, engine+electrics+fatter im just guessing tho

Taken from the 2005 Lupo brocher (sp)

"Weight is a crucial factor and the Lupo GTi totals just 1015kg. This is achieved by making the bonnet, doors and wheel arches from lightweight aluminium".

There is no mention of the boot being Ally anywhere.

GTi= 1015kg making it the heaviest petrol model.

Vs.

1.0 E= 946kg Is the lightest in the model range.

It's the weight of the engine i think that makes it the heaviest. Especially over the 1.0, not sure what the difference is between the gti and the sport, can't be much at all though. According to my V5, my gti is 979kg.

Edited to say im nearly 100% sure the gti boot is not alloy.

Edited by Adam

The Gti bootlid is steel I can assure you all of that.

Titanium would be pointless. It is much more expensive and its density is higher than that of aluminium so it would be heavier than an equivalent (volume of material) aluminium panel.

Also the early Gti's were quite a bit lighter than the later Gti's. Not sure on the change over but my 2002 Gti is about 970Kg not the 1015Kg of the later models. Maybe side airbags add more weight as these were an option on early Gti's but standard on the later cars.

My gti is 53, so maybe the one quoted at 1015kg in the brochure has air con, it does way around 20kg or so i have been told. Then add side airbags on top of that and you would be quite close to the 1015 kilo mark.

So how much weight do the alloy parts on the gti save against the steel parts on other lupos? about 40kg? (complete guess, i have no clue!)

just to point out - the 3l tailgate is a different shape to the rest of the range if i remember......

lupo.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

yup, it gives the rear end a squarer appearance closedeyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":closedeyes:" border="0" alt="closedeyes.gif" />

Edited by payna

i have the whole front of a 3 L for mine and i also have alloy doors, and the only model to have the lightweight hatch was indeed the 3L.

No sorry it's in the shop again. Technically it is finished but i'm still thinking about what to do with the interiour and a part of the exteriour as on one hand i want to sell it, but on the other hand i would like to take it up another step technically. It has become my winter project so no rushing hahaha coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

All Smiles, couln't find to much info about it, is it this one:

Give richard @ all smiles a call... 07970422554???????

Edited by Arvid