SDI - TDI conversion

tuffers

i've driven both sdi and 1.0. theres no point in arguing which one is faster cos none of them are. maybe the sdi is a tiny little bit faster, don't really know as the 1.0 didnt feel any better or worse than my car. Only good point of the sdi are if you want to pull something or if you're looking into fuel economy.

tbh I'd certainly buy myself a 1.4 TDi instead of getting all that done to an sdi, but still would be interesting to see the end result. As for weight, the SDi isn't that far off from a TDi, i remember reading it was only about 5 or 10kg heavier so thats not a big difference IMO

• 2 years later...
I had looked into this when I had my SDi. I then found out that it was going to be costly. It was cheaper to swap it for a TDi.

But as you already have the turbo and manifold, why not go for it!

The SDi has what looks like a throttle unit, its not. Its for air flow smoothing. The engine's speed is varied by fuelling pressure as far as I could see it.

As for controlling a VNT turbo, you would need a good aftermarket ecu or possibly adapt a VAG one.

Hi, would anyone know if a larger turbo (eg 1.9 tdi pd150 vnt17) be easily fitted onto the exhaust manifold?

Best wishes

Ian

• 1 month later...

For those insistant on tuning the SDI and the earlier mention of a German geezer getting 95hp out of one, would a more reasonable start point for parts be one back from the PD TDI and go for the 1.6 TD or 1.9 TD that are popular in the Caddys? I know 90-100hp isn't uncommon on there. No tricky ECUs to deal with and possibly more closely related to the 1.7 unit.

Just a thought.

Seems like a lot of work for 95hp doesn't it?

Or am I missing the point?

The engine will still be excessivly heavy.

why would it be excessivly heavy only turbo and associated pipe work and as previously said why not go for 1.9td thats what i am looking at,nice and simple??

• 1 year later...

From my point of view it's much easier to put 1.9TDI (PD) than a put turbo on 1.7 SDI. Why?

Well because I have SDI and I put it on a paper and figure the counts well small differences but problem is not in money always, technical elements got much more influence on question what to do. Well If you start from the beginning you will see that good thing about SDI to turbo is that main installation stays on your car but to setup that engine to work properly is hell of a job. Starting from feeding engine with fuel to set up the ECU, modifications on exaust system and air intake well big job . But when you do that with 1.9TDI you just put all installation (that's heavy part of job) with ECU and you finish, :) some setups with immobiliser and ignition but nothing hard to handle with. :) :) :)

Any thoughts and ideas on how the sdi could be turbo'd? Ive been looking at the high flow intakes from allards but not gonna buy anything until ive researched it all properly.

Whats the difference on the intake part of the engine between a SDI and a TDI? Ive looked at my sdi and it has a throttle plate and i presume a sensor just before the intake. What does the tdi have?

Ive found a flange match with AHU and ALH tdi engines so im thinking i could go with a sump, intake and downpipe off these.

allards

Ive already got a new VNT15 turbo with exhaust manifold in one, and the flange matches perfectly. As far as controlling the vanes, ive discussed this with lots of people and i think theres a solution other than installing a new ecu and loom. It should be a good choice for low rpm spooling.

Check this out:

http://www.dieseldragon.es/reportajestunin...Untitled-1.html

• 2 years later...

what is the power and such of the 1.4TDI? and can these be easily remapped for a little extra?

How easy would it be to buy a 1.4TDI engine and drop that into the SDI? I have an sdi and am happy but a little bit more go would be much appreciated hahaha.

Seems like a lot of work for 95hp doesn't it?

Or am I missing the point?

The engine will still be excessivly heavy.

youre missing the piont,

but we could say why a 20v turbo in a lupo?????

same thing really

I would go for the swap if I were you...

Also because of the extra tuning capabilitys

Volkswagen Lupo 1.7 SDI

60 HP 85 lbft

lupo2_666.jpg

Optins

None :P

MODS

Engine

1.9 TDI PD AXR

Oversized pistons

Flowed cylinderhead

Race cams

Race injectors

GT2260V turbo

Large FMIC

2,5" exhaust from turbo with only one silencer (simons)

Stonger bearings

etc.

Transmission

Sachs race clutch

Quaiffe sper-diff

Stonger custom drive shafts

Longer 5-gear transmission

Suspension

Seat Ibiza 6L fusee's

5x100 pdc with 5x100 brake discs

Billstein Shock Absorbers from a Seat Ibiza Cup car

ERS springs 80kg front/50kg rear

Al black powerflex rubbers

Interior

Completely emptyed

Corbeau seats

Cobra 4-point belts

Result

270 hp / 360 lbft

+- 0-112 mph in 13sec

CRW_4364.jpg

The car also have been on 320 HP / 384 lbft but that did brake down the gearbox.

The engine can handle it with no probs, so if I mount a 6-gear transmission I can even put out more HP.

See: http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78711

Edited by nils 6l

but we could say why a 20v turbo in a lupo?????

same thing really

Not really, fit a 20v into a Lupo, you get really great smooth power for driving to work, and 200bhp for the drive home again on a summer night.

Has no one noticed that this is a 6 year old thread?

If your going to do the conversion you might aswell do the 1.9tdi pd130 engine in it

Why the pd130 engine?