Lupo GTI ITB conversion.

LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

I think the theory is to cut the wires from the ECU that are engine related and re-route them to the new ECU. Nothing complicated though there is a suspician the ECU will only work if it receives info from all sensors. So:

All inputs will still go to the VW ECU (but will be spliced and also go to the new ECU).

Outputs for injectors etc will be cut from VW ECU so it thinks it is doing stuff but really it isnt. Real injector etc outputs will be coming from the new ECU.

Just hoping the VW ECU doesnt throw a temper as ht einputs it does still get will not be what it expects to see and will be well out of range of those it should get from a standard engine.

Looks like I am retaining the VW ECU to control the speedo (as well as lots of other things) but will be driving the rev counter from the new ECU which is going to be used solely to control engine functions.

Am retaining the standard fuel pump and hopefully std injectors (they are matched to the engine) but an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is to be used to turn the fuel pressure up hoping the injectors and pump have enough margin for this. New less restrictive fuel filter as well to helpthe pump a little.

Inlet manifold is under-way but currently has triangular ports as I only dropped the port profile drawings off last night. Ports will be shaped roughly and undersize for now until an imprint from the head is taken to match the sizes exactly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE YOURSELF MAJOR HEADACHE confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> VW ECU DOES NOT CONTROL SPEEDO. REV COUNTER IS OPERATED VIA ECU (CAN-BUSS) LOOK AT ALL 20VT LUPO'S WITH AFTERMARKET ECU WHAT REV COUNTER ARE THEY USING? THOUGHT I WOULD LET YOU KNOW before YOU START HACKING LOOM huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Sounds like its a sort of piggy back system. unsure.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" /> sonds like alot of messing about. i know the speeds is fed into the ecu cos you can see it in vag com , i'm sure there is an easier way.

• 1 month later...

I know progress is slow but remember the guy doing my work is a very well known and very busy race engine builder so I am low on the priority list...as he helps me out and I don't pay top dollar.

Well here goes with todays update:

I now have a custom made inlet manifold that I have been told is a work of art and gorgeous to look at. Not seen it yet but the guy who built it was told of my obsession with perfectionism and the manifold is worthy of a show piece.

I have also just ordered 4 individual Jenvey throttle bodies. These are hard to adjust but they can be fine tuned better and also they can be spaced exactly as required. I have also bought 3 linkages to link the 4 bodies together and also the master linkage to connect to my throttle pedal that is going to be modified to accept a cable. Gaskets are also on order as are all fitting bolts etc.

I have not bought trumpets as going to experiment during mapping as to which trumpet length gives best torque vs power vs noise. ITG filter at first but hopefully changing that to a carbon intake when I have more work done in future.

Next week the throttle bodies are going to be ported to the inlet manifold and the whole lot flowed and polished to eliminate any small steps and also to smooth the port shape transition through the inlet manifold.

I now have a custom made inlet manifold

I have also just ordered 4 individual Jenvey throttle bodies.

Im still not sure indivdual boddies are the way to go mate when you have had an inlet manifold made up, but I guess thats just cos Im too tight to pay the extra and then have more work when it comes to the setting up.

Have you figured a way how to mount the cable to the pedel yet?

Have you seen what your pedel looks like?

I can post a pic if it would help?

I saw a nice Pipercross air box I think Im going to go for.

Nice and simple, and comes with a base plate (that wont fit) to cut up wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Saw my inlet manifold today...its gorgeous.

The 4 barrels are press fitted into the flanges and then the flanges are held together with high tensile capscrews that are hidden inside small aluminium tubes that match the rest off the manifold.. No welding so looks gorgeous. No risk of weld fatigue from vibration either. It is all made from aluminium and is all polished up.

Am having 42mm bore parallel Jenvey bodies. 40mm was a little small but 45mm was going slightly big for the 1600cc so 42mm is the optimum size. Bought all linkages, fixing bolts and main cable.

The bodies are only 60mm long and inlet is also about 60mm long so loads of room for trumpets and an airbox without getting near the bulkhead.

Spent £1000 and this has bought the bodies and all linkages, fitting kit. Also paid for aluminium for inlet manifold and all labour on inlet manifold. It has been internally tapered but the port shape on head side is not being done until an impression has been taken from the head.

Not sure on ECU yet but looks like a Motec race system so bit more cash than I hoped to pay. Also looks like dash is coming out to do wiring and pedal conversion. The guy taking the dash out and doing the wiring does similar work on new BMW, Merc, Audi and Jeep.

Really buzzing now I have seen the bits that are actually going on my car. I dont know how Tigz contains himself with all the bits he has around him. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I dont know how Tigz contains himself with all the bits he has around him. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Mate, I have the knowlage that no matter how many bits I have, I have to somehow put them together, so the excitment turns to fear withing a few minutes!

Dont suppose you grabbed a pic of the manifold?

How long do they expect the conversion to take?

If you need a ride to pick it up let me know wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

All inputs will still go to the VW ECU (but will be spliced and also go to the new ECU).

Outputs for injectors etc will be cut from VW ECU so it thinks it is doing stuff but really it isnt. Real injector etc outputs will be coming from the new ECU.

Just hoping the VW ECU doesnt throw a temper as ht einputs it does still get will not be what it expects to see and will be well out of range of those it should get from a standard engine.

Usually with piggy-back ECUs you cut the inputs to the stock ECU and route them to the replacement ECU. The replacement ECU then has outputs that feed back into the stock ECU. So the replacement ECU feeds the stock ECU the values it expects.

• 2 weeks later...

Not had time to see the man this week mate. Been working 14 hour days and he is closed when I leave. Also been trying to find a cheap (less than £100) car for while mine is off the road.

Going there tonight hopefully, to pick up the inlet manifold and the throttle bodies and to check on progress with other stuff. Not got that answer on where to mount the vacuum take off pipes yet either with not seeing him.

Having a couple of issues trying to find myself a new clutch (update-may use the Polo Gti spec Sachs plate through VW racing if all else fails but think it will be a costly option) and not sure at all with trying to source an exhaust manifold.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

• 2 weeks later...

Got myself another car so Lupo can go in for tb's anytime now. Not exciting but it is a 1.8 glx N reg Mondeo. Really good condition, just had pre-MOT (needs 3 holes welding in exhaust and thats it). Bargain at £100.

Much more exciting is that my tb's and custom made throttle linkages are supposed to be delivered today so picking them up tomorrow night.

Andi

Was looking where the pedal box stuff emerges into engine bay this weekend (you told me you thought there would be no access holes near pedals when you rang me the other week). You were right mate.

I have also only just realised the clutch is hydraulic (only just taken any notice may I add) and the pipe for that and the brakes pedal are nowhere near the pedal area are they. Looks like the throttle cable conversion will require a hole drilling through the bulkhead to the engine bay. More work to do!

Andi

Was looking where the pedal box stuff emerges into engine bay this weekend (you told me you thought there would be no access holes near pedals when you rang me the other week). You were right mate.

Gutted, don't like being right some times sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Still at least more parts have arrived!

Can always worry about how its gonna work when your scratching you head with them in your hands!

I didn't think of the hydraulic pipe either, I take it fitting a cabled Lupo Pedal is completely out the window now then sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Would have been good if you could have used the VW Pre-drilled holes and fitments.

Whats the date when its going in then Darren?

I presume all Lupo are hydraulic clutch. So therefore any drive by wire car will have no stright line point of access through the bulkhead to the pedals as brake line and clutch line are routed to pass through bulkhead more inboard than the pedal box area.

If you have a throttle cable then there will be an existing access hole to get a cable straight from the pedal to the engine bay.

Only glimmer of hope is that there is a grommet'ed hole that I cannot see at the moment. Maybe once drive by wire module is removed and carpet lifted I will be able to see a hole to feed the throttle cable through. Am just having a small bracket welded to my pedal to hold the cable on, just got to locate it where it can easily then pass into engine bay through bulkhead.

Spoke to Mike yesterday and mentioned car going in. He said we need to order the ECU (and decide which one...or at least if he knows then tell me which one laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ) and then pick up the fuel pressure regulator, all piping etc and then it goes in. Expect it to be end of January and hopefully be ready for Ultimate Dubs in March.

I have heard lots of good things about Emerald recently, everyone seems to rate them. Will be bringing their name up in conversation tonight when I go talk electrical complicated stuff.

I wanted DTA originally but when I spoke to them they were not much help. I think I may be needing all the product support I can get as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my throttle bodies finally and my linkages. They look so sweet and also so small, about 60mm flange to flange and as the inlet manifold is about the same the intake tract is very short leaving room for my carbon intake box (to make an intake note like the M3 CSL).

My throttle bodies are set to drive from the middle pair so that you dont get the "wind-up" that occurs when driving from one end of the four and thus no unbalanced throttle position problems. This should also make them easier to set up.

Just waiting for the ECU now, think it is going to be a Motec and then its going in.

Got my Mondeo on the road as well so Lupo is resting although it may have a few more long journies to make before it goes in to be fitted with the new bits.

No pictures as I have no digital camera. Will have to show them off when they are fitted. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Have got my ecu sorted. Just waiting for it to arrive then car goes in to be taken apart. ECU details at the link below.

http://www.motec.com.au/m4.htm

I only have cash as I live at home, do not have any children yet and waste all my cash on the car!

Not actually got a price yet but hope it is not too high as its only the baby ecu from Motec not one of the big £4000 ones. The guy doing it knows my budget level so hoping its within that.

He told me today (hope this does not tempt fate) but car should be back to me all done by the end of this month, just got to sort the loom out.

It will then be in my garage for new brake dicss and pads, all suspension and underneith cleaned and then a full shake down ready for summer.