Steering wheel torque sensor compatibility

B0reaFox

Hello all. I desperate need of your help. I am looking for replacement of steering wheel torque sensor for my Lupo 3l 2000year. All I could find that looks alike is the one for Punto 2.0 1999-2000 "yellow". Does any of You know if they are truly compatible? Can they be used as replacement? 

IMG-20220723-WA0000.jpeg

Edited by B0reaFox
Syntax

Dumb question maybe.... but what happens if you're charging down a motorway in  3L (with electric power steering) and the motor electronics suddenly stop working? Can you still turn the steering wheel? Or if the fuse blows or if you turn off the ignition (or the ignition switch fails)....

I heard that on beemers, the steering locks solid and generally speaking, you crash.

It would crash if you would lock the steering wheel.  But if we are talking about power steering stopping to work - then it is the same situation that My lupo is at and it is still drivable. Only this is that it require much more force to rotate the wheel.

From the picture on ETKA, VW don't sell that part separately, it's part of the steering column

VW don't list it separately, in fact the steering column is obsolete from VW now anyway

3lsteering.jpg

And even the part number they suggest in the 'System Remark' box is obsolete now as well

1 hour ago, B0reaFox said:

And that isn't listed for any VAG group cars, they are all FIAT group vehicles, so no idea if it's compatible or not, expensive way of finding out!

Interesting. They are offering the kit to get rid of power steering in entirety.  I am half tempted to test fiat sensor. Looking at its construction it is not rocket science. Just a few slip rings. the variable in equation is shaft diameters and sequence of cables. I have found one with exact same plug and wires sequence and colors. 

sensor1.PNG

Edited by B0reaFox

@B0reaFox, have you tried to find the manufacturer of the steering assembly? Chances are that it's made by one of the big guys who make nearly identical assemblies for other manufacturers. They may share a part...

• Like 1

Well I will give a shot to FIAT Punto II part that looks identical. I will keep you posted guys because if it will work then there is alternative to fix power steering instead replace with non assisted steering wheel column as per suggestion of VW. Wish me luck. 

• 1 month later...