Lupo Gti rear brake lines

szrdave

The ones that go from the caliper (flexi) to the arm (rigid), and join the second flexi at the top.

My Lupo failed the Austrian equivalent of the MOT as both sides are corroded, the LH side is no longer available from VW so I ordered a set of braided lines. After a bit of a wait the kit turned up, and the long rear lines (the only ones I actually really need) aren't included :thumbdown:

I have until the end of next week for a free retest, anyone know of an alternative that could work?

I can confirm, that mk4 golf rear brake lines can be made to work. I'll add pictures and the part numbers of the lines I used when I'm at the PC, for anyone who needs it in future.

I would say that if you have the time, it would be better to remove the original lines and take them to a company to have them recreated, as the golf lines do require a bit of 'adjusting' and the routing is a bit peculiar.

The biggest problem I encountered however was quite a bit of corrosion on the sealing surface on both calipers. I ended up having to remove both calipers from the car and sand the sealing surfaces back, which resulted in a 45 min job taking about 3 hours and most of the contents of a bottle of brake fluid soaking into my garage floor 👎

• Like 1

As above, the part numbers I ordered were Mapco 3662 (OEM 1J0 611 763AD) and Mapco 3663 (OEM 1J0 611 764AD).

When compared to the old Lupo line, you can see the new part has a slighty different routing and a few extra bends:

IMG_20220625_114522

Routing on the LH side:

IMG_20220627_220505

And RH side:

IMG_20220627_220558

9 hours ago, ObjectiveAway said:

Cool! Why can't it be directly attached to caliper, without flexible part?

I hope previous owner for my non-GTI Lupo did't removed this flexible part, because I don't have it before caliper.

Just means if you want to remove the caliper to change the pads etc, then you have to disconnect the brake line (or leave it attached and bend the line). 

Could they have used drum brake specific lines?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, szrdave said:

Just means if you want to remove the caliper to change the pads etc, then you have to disconnect the brake line (or leave it attached and bend the line). 

Could they have used drum brake specific lines?

Thank you! I have copper pipes.