Lupo 1.4TDi Egr Valve

julietdiane

My car is a 2004 Lupo 1.4 TDi.

I recently had the EGR warning lamp come on and staying on. My Diagnostic scanner shows a DTC error - EGR valve is faulty.

I have hardly used the car in 2 years and then only on short trips. I'm guessing due to the fact that my short journeys never raised the engine temperature

thus resulting in exhaust muck building up in the EGR valve.

I would like to clean the EGR valve but got no idea how to do it and how easy it is to remove (or replace).

Anyone had similar EGR problems who could help me?

I've seen this a few times and it's "usually" not the EGR valve. If you have any diagnostics have a look at the injection quantity amounts when idling. If they are more than 10% out, it usually means the camshaft has gone, and the inlet or exhaust valve isn't opening enough, meaning the mixture is rich in one particular cylinder (not enough air). And the ECU thinks that the cylinder isn't generating the same power as the others so it actually increases the injection quantity, making the situation worse. Eventually leading to a misfire.

But it could just be a gunged up EGR, which you might as well remove, give a clean and re-fit. Cellulose or 2K thinners and a paint brush works best for cleaning really easily. If that doesn't fix it, you'll need to pull off the valve cover and inspect the camshaft. If it is the camshaft, you'll need a new one, a new seal and some new cam followers. And while at it, a new cam belt and tensioner (as they need to come off anyway).

3 bolts, a rubber hose and a hose clamp to remove it. 10 min job.

You could just take it for an hour's run on the motorway at a steady 65... The heat may clean everything out?

And finally.... if it is the EGR, think about replacing it with a straight pipe kit. :)

The car works perfectly well (95k on clock) - no misfiring or sluggishness. If it is only 3 bolts to remove the EGR I might give it a clean. If I replaced with a new EGR would any software need re-mapping. Finally I will take it on the motorway, as you suggest. Since covid began almost stopped using it, so have not gone above 50 mph is two years - 150 miles in total. I will also delete the EGR error code and see if it comes back. If it is the camshaft, I got no way to check, then it would have to be goodbye. Incidentally the cambelt got changed at 75k miles.