Is this the 109 relay issue?

I'm pretty sure it is but thought I'd ask away to double check.

So a week or so ago, car conked out at a junction. Restarted after a couple of attempts, thought nothing of it.

Then yesterday, conked out and wouldn't restart. In the process of trying to bump start it I toasted the starter (doh!) Rather than faff about taking my 20 year old starter to bits I went ahead and replaced it (70 from a local parts co - oem spec) and ran great but then an hour or so later, same thing again. Cutting out and then wouldn't start. Felt the 109 and it was pretty hot, but the main thing I've noticed is when I put key in ignition and turn on, if the coil light flashes it will start. If it doesn't flash it won't start. I've not been able to connect the car with my cheapo obd2 WiFi reader nor my mates dolphin scanning software but the in law has VCDS so will try that.

Main point though, if it isn't flashing coil light when ignition switched on - won't start, but coil light flash when ignition start - fires up, is this the 109? Only other issue I could think of is crank or cam position sensor but I'm unsure of the symptoms of that.

Tia

@mk2or @Richare probably best for this 😂

Well I’ve just replaced my 109 as it conked everywhere and was dangerously inconvenient. Mine went so hot you couldn’t touch it but the new one runs lukewarm only. As for your other symptoms I’m not able to tell

• Thanks 1

Yeah sounds like it... But can also be ignition switch. Most common temporary death of our little Loops/Rossers is 109 or ignition switch. Especially if the dash cluster goes Blackpool lights.

I think it might be happening on one of my SDIs. Died the other day while doing about 50 and then came alive again a moment later while still in gear. Gave the ignition key a wiggle and it died again. Once home, I started it and very slowly turned the key to off, and noticed that the ignition 'on' amount was tiny. Like it was just enough, but barely. So I think my ig sw needs some work. Sigh. That's not a fun job. Obviously worn out.

And my 109 runs warmer than I'd like.

Went again last night while working... kept trying the key turn method waiting for coil light to come on, no joy, it wouldn't for about 30 minutes. Managed to get a tow and dropped it in 2nd gear and it restarted and ran absolutely fine thereafter. Bloody bank Holiday otherwise I'd have went to a VW stealers and bit the bullet for their 109 relay!