Lupo 1.4 16V (automatic) available for Scrap value in Devon - Anyone interested?

stator

Hi All,

Due to chronic rust issues I will be scrapping my poor red lupo with 1.4v 16V AUA engine, about 85k on the clock.

Do you think it's worth trying to sell the car for it's engine, or shall I just sell the vehicle for scrap and pocket the £150?

Car has so many faults and the bodywork is knackered I wouldn't like to sell it as a "on the road car", even though it's currently road legal.

Got 2 months to decide, MOT is due in June.

Edited by stator

If it were me, I'd sell with known faults. There are loads of enthusiasts out there who'd love a project.

I mean, as a first car, it'd be perfect for a teenager, with dad probably doing the serious fixing up.

One of my Lupos was a rescue, destined for the scrapheap. All now fully restored other than needing a paint job. And it was bad. Real bad... worse than your's I'd guess! :) Cost me about £400 in parts (new and used) and I don't want to think about the hours tally.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:26 PM, mk2 said:

If it were me, I'd sell with known faults. There are loads of enthusiasts out there who'd love a project.

I mean, as a first car, it'd be perfect for a teenager, with dad probably doing the serious fixing up.

One of my Lupos was a rescue, destined for the scrapheap. All now fully restored other than needing a paint job. And it was bad. Real bad... worse than your's I'd guess! :) Cost me about £400 in parts (new and used) and I don't want to think about the hours tally.

Rust in roof, rust in wheel arches, rust around windscreen.

Drivers door has water ingress

Drivers door interior handle broken off

Driver Central locking dnw

Passenger electric windows dnw

Rear demister dnw

Top brake light housing broken and replaced with diy leds

Engine management few per tank of fuel. fault fuel trim system too lean

Paintwork peeling all over

Those are just the faults I remember

Edited by stator

Rusty roof and arches (plus probably f&r subframes) are known to rust. All lupos need help there...

Around windscreen almost certainly caused by damage during a windscreen change. You've gotta watch them cowboys.

Door problems very easy to fix. Usually the inside weather film was removed or ripped, so it rains inside. All mine had that... Central locking very common problem, easy to fix. Passenger leccy window- there's a how to...

Rear demister- could be switch,fuse or a broken wire in the tailgate rubber tube. Couple of hours would sort that. Rear wiper and squirter?

door handle and rear light cluster (commonly cracked) from breakers yard. A tenner maybe?

Engine management often caused by dodgy temp sensor. 10 min job.

Whats the interior upholstery like?

Sounds like a usual restoration job. :)

I had wheel bearings, cv joint, clutch, brakes, tyres, interior, headlght lenses, exhaust, rear lens off the top of my head to start... Your's sounds like a dream!

Edited by mk2

• 5 weeks later...

I Procrastinate like this and ended up paying a tax fine as it was parked on the road without tax and got parking tickets. The car couldn't move and i couldn't get anyone to buy it as they needed a recovery truck to collect it In the end. I ended up having to scrap my car to a company called scrapcarkings.com but lost alot of money because although they paid me for the scrap i had to pay for the tickets and the fine. Just be careful to get rid of it in time

• stator changed the title to Lupo 1.4 16V available for Scrap valuein Devon - Anyone interested?

Yes, I need to get rid of it before the end of the  month.

Also I didn't mention it's an automatic. Gearbox is fine as far as  I know

The Cambelt needs replacing

The fuse box under the dash has some white residue from water getting in, I think this is historic.

The spare tyre has a slow puncture.

If anyone is interested please contact me ASAP. I am willing to sell it for the same price I will get from the scrap dealer. If you need the engine you could sell the rest for scrap, essentially a free engine.

Otherwise I'm driving it to the scrap dealer the day before the tax expires.

Edited by stator

• stator changed the title to Lupo 1.4 16V (automatic) available for Scrap value in Devon - Anyone interested?
  • 2 weeks later...