Random engine cut out Arosa TDI

As title, It’s a problem that has been swept under the carpet for a year now as I’ve been doing other issues but now it’s unbearable.  The engine might not cut out for weeks and run fine but recently it’s been often and in slow busy traffic. 

The symptoms are usually engine stops dead in slow traffic and diesel glow light comes on.  When it’s been moving at faster speeds the oil light comes on and warning buzzer too only  for a second then restarts under its momentum. 

Interior light is off so it’s not ignition side or immobiliser I don’t think. 

Sometimes from cold there wasn’t a fuel pump sound and it would just spin on the starter and nothing. 

Other times on motorways (yes I’ve big balls) it’s ‘blipped’ but instantly carried on. 

I’ve got so mad with it at times I’ve ragged all the non important wire blocks like air sensors and also the stuff on the bulkhead with vac pipes attached and then the little **** starts! 

This car has never left me stranded but just embarrassed me in front of other motorists.  
I wish it wouldn’t run at all than be erratic. 
Any ideas? 

Most common problems with the AMF engine is the injector loom, but I don't think this is it, as you get a misfire. Complete death is usually fuel supply failure. Most likely the fuel tank electric lift pump, which is easy to check under the back seat. Be gentle with the big tank retaining nut.

Might be the engine gallery high pressure camshaft driven pump, but unlikely, as you notice lack of power at high speed and idle would be normal.

Or could be the usual suspects in Lupos like ignition switch, main power bus relay or a loose main power feed fuse. Even the aluminium fuses on top of the battery are worth checking, as corrosion can make them disconnect and fracture (hard to detect...).

late edit: Just realised you said it happens when hot, in traffic... could be the crank sensor- they fail like that.

Edited by mk2
Afterthoughts...

Would the crank sensor light up the glow plug light and sometimes activate the oil buzzer? 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway back on track…..

took bottom of dash out to get to ‘109’. Took it apart and it showed little tarnish on the points but no evidence that it’s been a real bad boy so I cleaned the contacts and put it back in. If left the car in bits for now so I can monitor it in case it conks. So today it conked twice on my way home from work and I waggled the 109 and it started straight away. The thing I noticed was that it was roasting hot 🥵. Now it’s either the relay or I’m guessing the pump is drawing too much energy perhaps therefore overheating the poor old relay? 

• 1 month later...

happened to me this morning, car wasn't even up to temp at this point, I was literally 500 yards from my house on the way to work, cut out while i was sat waiting to get out of a junction. restarted after 2 attempts of turning the key, trying to start, started in gear and then drove fine the rest of my journey.

That reminds me…

bought a spurious 109 and it works perfectly! I’ve still left the rhs dash lower off and check the top of the new relay daily for temperature and it’s  luke warm so problem sorted at last! 

16 hours ago, tigcraft said:

That reminds me…

bought a spurious 109 and it works perfectly! I’ve still left the rhs dash lower off and check the top of the new relay daily for temperature and it’s  luke warm so problem sorted at last! 

Where'd you get the 109 from mate? Mine cut out on me the other day so I'm just going to replace it anyway