Are all TDI and SDI owners so smug right now???

mk2

I am. With awesome 80MPG.

£1.55 a litre of fuel makes me think while driving around, that my little car is probably the most economical car around me. You know, that smug, happy feeling. Mmmm. Like 600+ miles on a tank. :)

Wish my tdi did 80!! It does 50’s round town but I does feel nice to know it’s desirable in a good way 

• Like 1

What lump did you bung in the TT...? Did you do a thread on it somewhere? I've always thought a tuned up AMF would be perfect in a mk4. Just the right balance of power, torque and economy (even though I don't particularly like 3 pots).

On 2/16/2022 at 8:25 PM, mk2 said:

I am. With awesome 80MPG.

£1.55 a litre of fuel makes me think while driving around, that my little car is probably the most economical car around me. You know, that smug, happy feeling. Mmmm. Like 600+ miles on a tank. :)

Yes you should all be smug,you can’t beat economical driving even more so the way things are right now.

• 2 weeks later...

And today I’ve now seen diesel @ £1.69!! 
out of interest what are gti’s doing to the gallon and petrol 1.4’s? 

OMG! And our diesel engines DON'T like veggie oil. Don't believe the BS out there. It wrecks your high pressure diesel systems, just like having water in your diesel. Not good.

And my leccy tarriff just ended and I'm now on 28.5p/kWh and 43p a day. Yeah.... was 11p a kWh and 23p. Gulp.

4 hours ago, tigcraft said:

And today I’ve now seen diesel @ £1.69!! 
out of interest what are gti’s doing to the gallon and petrol 1.4’s? 

My GTi does low 30's mpg when mostly driving to and from work through town and about 50 on a motorway run

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

OMG! And our diesel engines DON'T like veggie oil. Don't believe the BS out there. It wrecks your high pressure diesel systems, just like having water in your diesel. Not good.

And my leccy tarriff just ended and I'm now on 28.5p/kWh and 43p a day. Yeah.... was 11p a kWh and 23p. Gulp.

Seen veggie oil that got decanted into a jar. It went gloopy after a short while. I think I one ran a tank of it in my old lupo but never went back for any more. 

@bernd that’s quite a big difference from round town to motorway.  Wonder what a 1.4 petrol would do too? 

On 3/8/2022 at 8:30 PM, mk2 said:

have you had experience of this in your SDI ? 50/50 mix

7 hours ago, Sarahs Lupo said:

have you had experience of this in your SDI ? 50/50 mix

Yes. But not my SDIs. Other VAG cars with the same injection system. The injectors rust on the inside and the lift pins get scored (scratched). Then the spray pattern messes up and it's game over for them. And the rotary plunger in the injection pump suffers the same fate, but more slowly because it rotates as well as goes in and out.

Oh, and the other thing I noticed is that the resin coil binder used in the horseshoe shaped pickup head - the bit that does the injection quantity measurement starts breaking away. And those bits must end up somewhere where you don't want them inside the pump, which is meant to be kept absolutely spotless. The electronics inside the VE pump are immersed in the fuel.

Veggie oil just doesn't lubricate as well as refined hydrocarbons (like diesel, kerosene, engine oil etc).

On 3/8/2022 at 8:30 PM, mk2 said:

there's always red if you can get it

On 3/8/2022 at 11:09 PM, tigcraft said:

Seen veggie oil that got decanted into a jar. It went gloopy after a short while. I think I one ran a tank of it in my old lupo but never went back for any more. 

@bernd that’s quite a big difference from round town to motorway.  Wonder what a 1.4 petrol would do too? 

works well in old Mercedes engines esp the 5 cylinder om 617 and its baby brother the om 616, but these are too big and heavy for a Loop

9 minutes ago, The Penguin said:

there's always red if you can get it

Just bear in mind that the fuel suppliers are required to log all addresses to where they deliver red to for HMRC. And if HMRC check the DVLA database and see that there is a roadgoing diesel vehicle at the same address, they 'may' investigate. Happened to someone around the corner from us. Cost him a lot of £.

But yeah, red diesel is technically identical to regular diesel, so can be run in Class 6 emission engines too (like brand new tractors)- which can be legally driven in the centre of London. But our Lupos can't... SMH.

On 3/15/2022 at 5:21 PM, mk2 said:

Just bear in mind that the fuel suppliers are required to log all addresses to where they deliver red to for HMRC. And if HMRC check the DVLA database and see that there is a roadgoing diesel vehicle at the same address, they 'may' investigate. Happened to someone around the corner from us. Cost him a lot of £.

But yeah, red diesel is technically identical to regular diesel, so can be run in Class 6 emission engines too (like brand new tractors)- which can be legally driven in the centre of London. But our Lupos can't... SMH.

I’ve used it when I’ve needed to 🙄

• Like 1

There are infra-red dyes also present, which are not visible... Those markers are the ones they look for, not the red colour. You can buy additives that you chuck in your fuel tank that make your diesel red or pink.