Lupo 1.0 won't start - possible ignition issue?

MartiniSalad

Hi, looking for advice if anyone can help.

Went to start the Loop to keep the battery going today (don't use it a lot) a week after I got it back up and running after doing a recharge from flat (was away for a month).

The electrics are on, aftermarket radio was working as well as clock and lights. But the car won't start. There's a low amount of fuel, around 1/8th but I'd think that'll be enough to run for a bit. 

When I try to start, the car electrics cut out. At one point something happened with the indicators where the neutral position and down position did the opposite things. Once the key comes out the clock/miles start back up again. 

I'm not sure what the issue is, maybe faulty ignition? Or a bad battery because of how it died when I got back? Though last week I started it up a few times, all successfully. 

What does everyone else make of it? I'd be grateful for some advice.

Yeah, try a recharge overnight- trickle charge - and see if that sorts it. But there may be something else that's draining the battery when it's parked. I'd investigate where the current is leaking away.

Once it's charged and back in place, connect just the + terminal and place a current meter between the - on the battery and the - connection. If everything is off and the car is parked you should see less than 10mA. Failing alternators can drain power (the diodes leak). Else it could be a hifi unit, a tracker or dodgy central locking receiver.

It could just be that the battery is end of life. They typically only last about 5 years. Breakers yards have bargains for sale with at least a couple of years life left for a few £.

• 4 weeks later...