Lupo 3L 1.2tdi spotted

tigcraft

I notice L3OPUL is back on sale again via eBay. I spotted it less than a year ago on eBay with no test and in need of recommissioning with a rotten sill. It’s obviously had a **** welding job as I wouldn’t ever show welding work like that in the pics but it looks like it’s losing the ability to find a loving owner. 

10 hours ago, decvalts said:

I saw this too. Do you reckon the welding is "sufficient" though (will it last/is it just cosmetically bad...) I don't really have enough experience to judge welds

Sufficient if your unskilled and it’s the best you can do. 

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

That weld looks fine. But huge milage... The chain and tensioner should be replaced avery 150k, which no-one does. Worth a fair bit in parts, but no inside pics.

Yes it’s star ship mileage and well used but if you check it out on one of the databases it’s seemed to have stayed the same mileage or lost a bit!  Condition wise , it’s got worse and don’t go by the sellers 100%positive feedback as the previous year it’s full of negatives. 
I googled it yesterday and found info from another ‘in between’ website for sale from a year ago from an owner who had it from 2013 with same faults. I’m sure I actually emailed him at the time as i was interested but the insurance was sky high as it was unusual and lhd. Not sure to what road tax is as one website says its £170 per year as it’s a year 2000 and previous owner said it was free. 

I've been tempted by it before (it does seem to pop up a lot...) but the comms always goes quiet after a question or two or request for more details etc... Talked myself out of it again. Shame if got broken for parts cause they are so rare in the UK if it's genuinely a VED band A import.

The cars not far from me actually but you seem to be mid Scotland which is a risk if your not happy. I have a bit of a fetish of checking out sellers before I jump into my car to buy. From the impression I get is the seller is pond life and has limited words. He’s trading in Bradford which is a dark dodgy hole on its own these days. If you check out his real feed back and ignore the fact that his last  year is 100% you’ll find his rating peppered in negatives with an unhappy trail of buyers. The car is worth between £500-£750 only because of it rarity, but at that expect to carry out a full restoration as on cars with that mileage expect fatigue on body panels like torn inner door shells, clapped out suspension, frayed seat fabric and soggy controls like steering wheel, gear lever, indicator stalks and the list goes on.  I personally am not against high mileage if it’s one owner and pampered to death. With this one I’d want it given to me. 

Yeah, totally agree. AND if doing a restoration job, you'll be up against the parts availability. ie none in the UK. It'd become expensive very quickly. But then breaking it would also be troubkesome, as no-one has them over here so your parts buyer market is limited. If it was about 2-300 I'd probably get it for parts for my lupos. Upgrades...

It's gonna be an enthusiast that buys it. And then they'll be on here already... Or if they're not, they will be soon :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tigcraft said:

What a monstrosity! Scrap value only. Why would you want to be seen in that? 

Novelty factor? It's got all the hallmarks of a great buy though. No Logbook, the MOT run out on January 7th.......... 2021 and it hasn't been taxed since 2020. It runs and drives really well for a car that's covered in weird dog hair apparently.

Someone find my cheque book.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like L30PUL is being broken up for parts now on the Lupo/Arose Facebook Parts group. (Apologies if you can't open this link, think it's private but you can request to join) https://www.facebook.com/groups/418929081561854?multi_permalinks=5003731299748253&hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen

Or the full car for £1000(!), (no MOT and a dodgy ignition barrel... )