GTI Driveshaft

Pringle

I took my GTI to a garage to change my front wheel bearings and ball joints and long story short they haven’t done it properly and the driveshaft has popped out and broken. They say they can’t find them new anywhere and that I’ll need to source one for them to use. Anyone know where I may be able to get new shafts? Or possibly anyone that’s selling?

Did the garage put in the correct ball joints?

The ones listed to fit the GTI on ecp etc are not correct.

The only place I know to get them is either VW or autodoc (link somewhere in the forum)

is the whole driveshaft broken or just the cv joint? The cv joint can be replaced.

It’s the part of the shaft with the splines. I’ll give them a call about the ball joints to see, as if originally bought the right ones from auto doc to do it myself but they wouldn’t use my parts, but by the sounds of it it’s definitely the shaft that’s the issue. Wish I’d have just done it myself just couldn’t be bothered in this weather 🤦‍♂️

N/S driveshaft is 6E0 407 451 AX, obsolete from VW

O/S driveshaft is 6N0 407 452 GX, also obsolete from VW

These are complete driveshafts with UJ's either end, VW have never sold just the shaft on it's own

26 minutes ago, lupogtiboy said:

N/S driveshaft is 6E0 407 451 AX, obsolete from VW

O/S driveshaft is 6N0 407 452 GX, also obsolete from VW

These are complete driveshafts with UJ's either end, VW have never sold just the shaft on it's own

****. The garage mentioned something about them getting it refurbed? Is that a thing, because I think it’s the splines that are damaged so surely they’d need to make a new one?

2 hours ago, James_VW said:

Did the garage put in the correct ball joints?

The ones listed to fit the GTI on ecp etc are not correct.

The only place I know to get them is either VW or autodoc (link somewhere in the forum)

is the whole driveshaft broken or just the cv joint? The cv joint can be replaced.

Would the wrong ball joints being fitted cause the driveshaft to pop out under general usage?

dear oh dear oh dear... just read the above thread. I'd be absolutely fuming. 😤

Sounds like when they removed the hub carrier (complete with ball joint and bearings), they may have accidentally pulled the spring retaining clip, which locks the spline inside the CV joint spider. 

Also, if the wrong ball joints were fitted, the splines would be running on their limit, as the CV joint balls would be at end stop. The first few bumps you hit would shatter the spider as there wouldn't be enough free motion along the shaft. Then the half shaft would spin inside the CV boot and mash any remaining metal to pieces. What a mess.

Now assuming the gearbox wasn't damaged (which can easily happen if the shaft tries to hammer into it when you hit a bump), you'll be needing new inner and outer CV joints, a new half shaft and possibly new bearings- again as the hammering action will almost certainly have pitted the bearing journals (which won't be obvious for perhaps a year).

What a mess. I don't know where you or they will get the parts. It'll have to be a breaker's somewhere... Two places I can think of- the vdub spares place in Thame or Biscester (that neck of the woods) and one other vdub dismantler in Southampton. I can't remember either of their names off the top of my head. Make sure the garage doesn't just buy a complete used half shaft along with old CV joints (and use them).

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, mk2 said:

Sounds like when they removed the hub carrier (complete with ball joint and bearings), they may have accidentally pulled the spring retaining clip, which locks the spline inside the CV joint spider. 

Also, if the wrong ball joints were fitted, the splines would be running on their limit, as the CV joint balls would be at end stop. The first few bumps you hit would shatter the spider as there wouldn't be enough free motion along the shaft. Then the half shaft would spin inside the CV boot and mash any remaining metal to pieces. What a mess.

Now assuming the gearbox wasn't damaged (which can easily happen if the shaft tries to hammer into it when you hit a bump), you'll be needing new inner and outer CV joints, a new half shaft and possibly new bearings- again as the hammering action will almost certainly have pitted the bearing journals (which won't be obvious for perhaps a year).

What a mess. I don't know where you or they will get the parts. It'll have to be a breaker's somewhere... Two places I can think of- the vdub spares place in Thame or Biscester (that neck of the woods) and one other vdub dismantler in Southampton. I can't remember either of their names off the top of my head. Make sure the garage doesn't just buy a complete used half shaft along with old CV joints (and use them).

Fuming is an understatement, they originally fitted the bearings and ball joints and sent me on my way to which the shaft popped out and then when I called back they sent a guy to my house after I’d been towed all the way home to say it’s not a direct cause of what they’ve done which clearly it is. So I then had my dad tow me to the place to which they then called said it was fixed with no knocks or bangs. Then drove the car heard knocks and bangs and drove back straight away and told them they need their ears checking. Their mechanic then drove the car and the shaft popped out on him whilst he was driving. Proper s**tshow. Thanks for the advice. I’ll go back to them with this 

I’ve only had the car Since the end of August and already it’s looking like it’s finished because I highly doubt they’re going to be looking around breakers and seen as it’s their mistake neither do I as it’s their f**k up. Insurance wise I doubt I’ll get back what it’s worth or what I’ve spent. 

24 minutes ago, Rich said:

A. Fix it.

B. Don't go keep repeatedly going back to a **** garage.

If they’ve fixed it wrong they’re liable and have to pay for the repairs or pay out for the car if they’ve broken it surely. If it’s an issue that they have caused they will have to put it right. First time I’ve ever taken a car to a garage for anything other than an mot. 

16 hours ago, mk2 said:

I spoke with the garage and sent them over what you said in this message and they’ve responded with the below. Is that correct would you say or is he trying to fob me off?

In relation to this email 

What your friend is saying is correct but that relates to the outer CV joint

This issue with your car is the inner CV joint

Your car needs the Offside inner joint (gearbox side) as the bearings have popped out inner CV joint

If the inner also popped, what happened to the outer? The inner cv spider is held onto the shaft by a circlip. The flailing shaft must have made a real mess everywhere...