Steering rack/subframe removal - spinning steering rack bolts/nuts

Any one tried to remove the 4 steering rack bolts (part of an ongoing subframe swap...) and find them spinning? Can't figure out how to get these out, there's very little room and the nuts on the steering rack clamp are...octagonal..or rounded?! (Are they supposed to be standard hex nuts??) anyone found a trick to get them out? It's the passenger side. There is barely any room to reach in 😓

It's the nuts/U shaped mounting bracket in the diagram (19/21)

IMG_20211230_115956592_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211228_145501547.jpg

I'd just drill them out. Then add new ones. Easy enough to do once the subframe is out.

If the subframe bolts are stuck or spinning:

Common fix is to scrape off the goop on the structure surrounding the captive nut. Then surgically open up a hole on the side (angle grinder).

Then either weld it back in solid, if you think you can unscrew the bolt using some release agent-

Or, while having the car resting on the subframe (so it doesn't move), hack the entire nut and bolt out, replace with new ones, bolt up tight then weld the nut (carefully) back in again?

Weld up the access hole, paint and remove bolt just to pump in loads of antirust wax. As good as new again 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

It's off. 🤪 Used a mini grinder in the end to chop off the steering rack bolt heads as I don't have a big enough battery drill and it's a street-side job. The new one is loosely in place now. Amazingly, all four "captive" nuts in the chassis have stayed captive enough, which is lucky as I've nowhere to do any welding...

IMG_20220102_123744761_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220102_130748818_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211223_124220648.jpg

Superb work 👍🏻 Something I desperately need to do to my Lupos. Puts many garages to shame that they can't do that standard of work. But I guess they don't care and only work for the money. Good job!

See pics of others...

https://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/106756-subframe-refurb/#comment-1196460

Edited by mk2
Compare and contrast subframes...

Old one was even worse than I thought once I'd took the control arms off...glad I'm not driving on it anymore. 😬 (I'm amazed it's never been mentioned on an MOT before, I suppose a lot of it is covered by the undertray though.) 

IMG_20220102_214957792_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220102_215142695_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220102_215154761_HDR.jpg