Lupo GTI catalytic converter

Hi all, it’s been a long time since positing last but we still have the GTI all of these years on! However the cat is on its way out and we can’t find a replacement, we managed to get hold of a new genuine Vw exhaust system a few years ago but the car is still on its original cat, can anyone suggest somewhere that we might be able to get one? Thanks 

Wow, respect. You're probably the longest Lupo owning member on the forum! 👍🏻

Are you sure it's the cat? Especially if the car has been looked after. They last about 150k miles from new (as required by EU directives).

If you're getting poor cat performance, it could be the blow by gases or the throttle body. And there's a heating element in the gas circuit, which is known to cause similar 'errors'.

Thanks for the things to check, I’m pretty sure it’s the cat, it looks badly corroded and has started to blow (there’s also an awful eggy smell in the car went it’s running but cold engine). The car is looked after but does very little mileage unfortunately it’s not garaged.

You can buy an 'approved' after market cat for about £130+, which is usually welded up just after you order it (based on a template and uses a standard element). I know BM catalysts do that, once you've placed your order. 3 grades available, non approved, approved and 'blue angel'... 

https://www.bmcatalysts.co.uk/

I'm pretty sure nobody makes an aftermarket cat for a GTI, only one you can get is a race cat from Kamtec with a manifold, and that's quite expensive!

Ooo er, we're honoured with @Rich's presence. Where have you been hiding the last couple of months?

I was thinking, as you do about that cat symptoms. If you get an eggy smell, it usually means it's working ok. But you can also get an eggy smell from the ac evaporator or from stale windscreen wash liquid when you have the heating on sucking in air pash the wipers

If BM can't supply, it's fairly straight forward to have a copy made by a few exhaust supplier factories- providing you can supply the original that they can use as a template. It's just metal tubing and a standard ceramic catalytic element. Bear in mind that old catalyst is worth scrap metal trade in value (I dunno, maybe £30? What do you get Rich?).

Hmmm. What are you up to then?

I told you you can adapt a regular hydraulic press by using an electric power steering pump (and tank combo). I've also updated my 'mess up' by using a foot pedal rigged up with an old power tool speed contrroller to get variable pressure, with more control. Works a lot better than a simple switch. 👍🏻