Please welcome your brand new idiot.

CaptainHand50me

Hello!

I just bought a red 2000 1.4S automatic for a princely £750. It’s done 114000 has a rusty roof, which I have read lots about here, and needs a new wing. 

Otherwise, the lovely lady I bought it from had pretty much done everything, belts, coil packs, exhaust, gear box, even brake fluid. 

I bought it for the wife to do the school run. Get a year out of it and wait for decent used e-up’s to hit the market.  

But something has developed… I think… and I’m a little embarrassed to say it… I think I’m in love with the Lupo.

it’s flipping awesome, right? 

Now she likes an automatic and that what we have but now I want a Gti.  I want one. I really want one. 

So… do I get one, which is according to some here, a minefield, OR do I keep this gently rusting beauty and GTI it up a bit stealthily…?   I know I know, I’m going straight to hell.

Also, how do you turn the little lights on at the front, please? 🤔😂

Thanks in advance for all and any advice. 

• Like 1

They just are fun Kult cars and addictive. At the age of your car you’ll probably be on expensive tax? As for the gti version I thought about it and chose the Tdi instead as it makes more sense, cheaper to run by far, rapid and now very rare. 
All in all just enjoy your point and shoot fun car! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The little lights at the front are your indicators and that's it... No frills.

Make sure you change both gearbox fluids regularly, clean the magnets and change the gearbox oil filter inside. Everyone always neglects auto boxes. They need some love too. Vw autoboxes are touchy.

Trying to gti a regular flavour loop is just too hard. Don't. Keep checking everywhere and one will pop up at some point. Be patient. Think of it this way- someone else is simply looking after your gti for you right now and you can have it back when their circumstances change. :)

Oh, and welcome to club lupo👍🏻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tigcraft said:

They just are fun Kult cars and addictive. At the age of your car you’ll probably be on expensive tax? As for the gti version I thought about it and chose the Tdi instead as it makes more sense, cheaper to run by far, rapid and now very rare. 
All in all just enjoy your point and shoot fun car! 

Thanks very much. I’ll look into it. 

it cost about 117 to insure on a multi-car and I think the tax was 170. On the road for a shade over a grand. I just bought some mats and it needs a stereo, and I’m thinking of a rear roll bar. This thing is a blast!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

The little lights at the front are your indicators and that's it... No frills.

Make sure you change both gearbox fluids regularly, clean the magnets and change the gearbox oil filter inside. Everyone always neglects auto boxes. They need some love too. Vw autoboxes are touchy.

Trying to gti a regular flavour loop is just too hard. Don't. Keep checking everywhere and one will pop up at some point. Be patient. Think of it this way- someone else is simply looking after your gti for you right now and you can have it back when their circumstances change. :)

Oh, and welcome to club lupo👍🏻

Sage advice. Thanks.  I’ll try to keep this one OHM (?) and do a touch of light restoration.  Have started lurking on the sites.  Lots out there, I see and many modded, which is a thing, right? I might save up for a Japanese import… much to learn. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaptainHand50me said:

Thanks very much. I’ll look into it. 

it cost about 117 to insure on a multi-car and I think the tax was 170. On the road for a shade over a grand. I just bought some mats and it needs a stereo, and I’m thinking of a rear roll bar. This thing is a blast!

The gti is eye watering road tax for what it is but the tdi Post  2001 is £30!! 

Edited by tigcraft
Mistake
  • Like 1

I used to have a 1.0 E spec Lupo, and I loved that...

But for almost the last 20 years I have been thinking: "I wish I had a Lupo GTI" until I finally got one in September last year, and I have to say it fulfilled all my expectations. It's an absolutely brilliant little car. I'm still like a little kid with a new toy a year and a bit later, driving like an idiot with a big fat grin on my face.

I dunno about minefield. Mine is an 04 reg with 120000 miles on the clock and it hasn't missed a beat since I got it. Ok maybe that one time when the alarm kept going off because of water in the rear spoiler. And yes, there's things like noisy door catch straps and non functioning door microswitches etc. and the aircon doesn't work, as you would expect from a 17 year old car. All things that are easily fixable if I could be bothered. Generally I would say though that it is very well screwed together indeed. The 3series BMW of similar vintage I had before had many more things wrong with it. 

Also, if you get a GTI now, you probably won't loose any money if you decide to sell it again, as prices have been going up steadily for the last few years and are likely to continue to do so.

All in all then: 12 out of 10. Would recommend!

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 8:22 PM, bernd said:

I used to have a 1.0 E spec Lupo, and I loved that...

But for almost the last 20 years I have been thinking: "I wish I had a Lupo GTI" until I finally got one in September last year, and I have to say it fulfilled all my expectations. It's an absolutely brilliant little car. I'm still like a little kid with a new toy a year and a bit later, driving like an idiot with a big fat grin on my face.

I dunno about minefield. Mine is an 04 reg with 120000 miles on the clock and it hasn't missed a beat since I got it. Ok maybe that one time when the alarm kept going off because of water in the rear spoiler. And yes, there's things like noisy door catch straps and non functioning door microswitches etc. and the aircon doesn't work, as you would expect from a 17 year old car. All things that are easily fixable if I could be bothered. Generally I would say though that it is very well screwed together indeed. The 3series BMW of similar vintage I had before had many more things wrong with it. 

Also, if you get a GTI now, you probably won't loose any money if you decide to sell it again, as prices have been going up steadily for the last few years and are likely to continue to do so.

All in all then: 12 out of 10. Would recommend!

Well said.Also there are plenty of people ended up getting a 2nd and 3rd gti they liked them that much.

• Like 2

I once considered selling my GTI for a Mk6 Golf GT, drove it and it was nothing like the Lupo, not as much fun, and even with more power, didn't feel anywhere near as nippy. I've owned my GTI since 2004 and I never want to part with her. They just make you smile, no matter how bad your day has been, just a fun car to drive and own. Plus the rarity of them makes people wonder what it is, have I spent stupid amounts of money to put a bodykit on a Lupo?! And then you leave them for dead from the lights, worth every penny!

• Like 3

On 12/17/2021 at 8:48 AM, lupogtiboy said:

I once considered selling my GTI for a Mk6 Golf GT, drove it and it was nothing like the Lupo, not as much fun, and even with more power, didn't feel anywhere near as nippy. I've owned my GTI since 2004 and I never want to part with her. They just make you smile, no matter how bad your day has been, just a fun car to drive and own. Plus the rarity of them makes people wonder what it is, have I spent stupid amounts of money to put a bodykit on a Lupo?! And then you leave them for dead from the lights, worth every penny!

I know exactly what you mean. Setting off from some traffic lights and looking in the rear view mirror at the gigantic gap between my car and the one behind is one of my favourite things to do. 

@mk2 and spent a considerable amount of time walking around my GTI parked next to one of his standard Lupos, stroking our chins and wondering how such a few minor changes make the GTI look so much better…

I also like the geeky engineering e.g. aluminium body parts and thinner glass to save weight. 

if there are worries about practicality, I’ve transported a tumble drier and a mountain bike (not at the same time obviously) in my old Lupo, and we (2adults 1dog) went camping in Norway and skiing in Switzerland in it…

• Like 1