Broken speakers, need a replacement

madmaxraver

My passenger side door speaker has broken and makes a horrible sound when listening to music, going to have to replace it. What's the best option here in regards of speakers. I'm limited with my DIY skills and access to tools, so a straight speakers swap using standard wiring would be the best case scenario. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152498870245?epid=217200707&hash=item2381a417e5:g:zgMAAOSwmoxZqS9q

Would this be sufficient? 

The original Philips or Blaupunkt speakers are actually pretty good... Better than those Ebay ones listed. Way better sensitivity at around 97dB/W and bass response down to 45Hz. 👍🏻

Speakers from Polos, Boras and Golfs of that era fit straight in. I've had to replace mine too- with mk4 golf speakers. About a fiver a pair from breakers.

To remove them, you need to drill out the rivets. I always rivet back in again once replaced (5mm ali blind rivets- "Pop" type- nerd fact--> "Pop" is a brand like "Hoover"). :)

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 7:37 PM, mk2 said:

The original Philips or Blaupunkt speakers are actually pretty good... Better than those Ebay ones listed. Way better sensitivity at around 97dB/W and bass response down to 45Hz. 👍🏻

Speakers from Polos, Boras and Golfs of that era fit straight in. I've had to replace mine too- with mk4 golf speakers. About a fiver a pair from breakers.

To remove them, you need to drill out the rivets. I always rivet back in again once replaced (5mm ali blind rivets- "Pop" type- nerd fact--> "Pop" is a brand like "Hoover"). :)

I like the fact, and this is really the easiest way. I think passat b5, skoda and audi speakers will fit as well. I also agree the ebay set is not a great deal, but i think oem speakers are not fine with aftermarket radio units, because 50x4 heads are too powerfull for them.

EDIT: with not a great deal, I meant don't buy cheap replacement speakers, take some fine quality aftermarket, or don't try to upgrade at all.

Edited by ObjectiveAway

On 11/27/2021 at 5:37 PM, mk2 said:

I was also impressed with the standard speakers, I've had the car a few months and it's been fine, and then once I put in an aftermarket cd player the speakers has 'popped'. What are the size for the standard speakers? so I know what to search for. 

On 11/27/2021 at 8:22 PM, ObjectiveAway said:

I like the fact, and this is really the easiest way. I think passat b5, skoda and audi speakers will fit as well. I also agree the ebay set is not great deal, but i think oem speakers are not fine with aftermarket radio units, because 50x4 heads are too powerfull for them.

I think that's what happened to mine, was only after I installed my cdplayer that the speaker broke. 

On 11/30/2021 at 10:23 AM, madmaxraver said:

I was also impressed with the standard speakers, I've had the car a few months and it's been fine, and then once I put in an aftermarket cd player the speakers has 'popped'. What are the size for the standard speakers? so I know what to search for. 

I think that's what happened to mine, was only after I installed my cdplayer that the speaker broke. 

Hi mate I had the same problem so I found some speakers from a new shape scirocco and the fitted straight in and plug and play sound really good too