Any one good at guessing transmission noises ?

My Rossa is driving me nuts! I’ve a very slow deep ‘Whoop whoop’ style noise from 50mph upwards. It’s got new bearings, new discs, legs, reasonably treaded tyres. It makes no odds if it’s a left sweeper a right, free wheeling at 50/60 and no change in sound, up hill or down it’s the same under drive or on overrun it’s the same. Could it be an out of balance drive shaft resonating or similar? 

Not inside at all. Fan has been totally off  It feels engine/gearbox drive shafts 

The only thing in your trans that i think it could be is diff bearings, as the only thing that affects this is speed.

I dont think it could be driveshaft related, how old are your tyres? old hard tyres can make more road noise

• Like 1

Yeah, might be diff bearings, but you'd certainly get some whine at speed and under acceleration/deceleration. CV joints worn? but then they'd make more noise when on power and turning.

@imaparana is onto something- old hard tyres do get noisy. Yeah, you could try swapping fronts/rears and left right.

Let us know what it is when you crack it... curious.

11 hours ago, imaparana said:

The only thing in your trans that i think it could be is diff bearings, as the only thing that affects this is speed.

I dont think it could be driveshaft related, how old are your tyres? old hard tyres can make more road noise

They are quite old. Think I’ve a pair of 2017 and summat like 2010 from memory. The only thing is that the older ones are like 7mm 🙄

Back to describing that sound, when I mentioned whooping it’s the only thing  I can think of that resembles the style. Today I timed it on the motorway, it’s three seconds of a deep drone but not necessarily loud and then a gap of 1-2 seconds pause and it changes as the car speed does. There is a very mild vibe throughout the car body but not in the steering wheel. 

If sound comes from diff bearings, then breaking with gears should make a feeling that something is grinding. I actually hear it for 20 000km that my diff bearings must have to be replaced, first i heard them while releasing throtthle on high speed, now i hear them while driving even on slow speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

A second  thing I need to mention regarding sounds, this car is extremely road  noisy from around 10mph upwards and it seems frontal. The closest I can discribe it as is 'wheel bearing noise' but those are brand new and are off my check list. This noise is in conjunction with the original noise mentioned at the first post.

On another matter, since last week I swapped the road wheels front to back and there is a considerable decrease in the original whooping sounds by 60-70%, so tyres are a contributor but not the cure.

On checking the engine bay I do recall the gearbox has been marked by someone in 'breakers yard yellow marker' the words NO OIL. It worried me thinking that theres no oil in it as I cant get the fill plug off as yet but then it might have been marked probably because it may have been a second hand box .

• 6 months later...

Well it’s a long time since I added to this thread,

I’ve still got the groaning sound months down the line and it’s no different.  I checked the oil a few months ago and it was close to topped up and very clean. I can only think it’s either wheel bearing sound from bearings but those are new from last August or the gearbox diff as I just can’t think of anything else. 
 If it’s the diff then what sort of job or parts expense would it add up to?