1.0 Litre Arosa gearbox final drive leaking?

qwerty4real

I bought a little 1999 1.0 Litre Arosa September last year as my first car. but I think the gearbox is leaking but not the selector shaft, from what I can see it looks like the side cover behind the left hand wheel Is leaking its got a big VW stamp on it(I think its the final drive/cluster?). Has anyone tackled this issue before? And what kind of gaskets/oil does it require? (I know it needs G50 75W90 but how do I identify if it needs synthetic or mineral?)

Hello, its 085 gearbox, accoarding to workshop manual all 085's needs G 50 SAE 75W-90 (Synthetic oil), however some say some other oil viscosities works better, like Fuchs Sinto 75w. 

The side cover (23) is just a cover, there is 5th gear behind it, and you need to remove the cover and 5th gear if you want to disassemble the gearbox. The seal (22) oem part number is 02T301215A and it is still available for around 20£. 

Take care of your oil level, to aboiud burning 5th gear bearing or damage anything else.

225301330.png

Here...

https://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/41812-the-definitive-gearbox-thread/page/12/&tab=comments#comment-1199802

I think you can just swap the seal once the flange has been pulled out. You need to remove the hex cap bolt first. Keep everything real clean :)

@mk2 by hex cap bolt do you mean the oil drain or the bolt that goes throught the cover? from what i see its just the 5th gear cover thats leaking ill get a better looking at it tomorrow. Hopefully i havent roasted 5th i didnt know that could happen nor did i know the gearbox had plastic parts in it. 

Thanks so much for all the info btw. cause i had tried looking on elsawin but its a bit vague on how to go about it.

Sorry misread where the leak was... yeah, follow @ObjectiveAway's suggestion. In my head I thought it was leaking in a regular spot, from the seal behind the output flange. There's a hex cap bolt in the middle of the output flange.

Yeah, just drain the box and whip off the tin cover. Quick easy job. Get a new seal or simply clean everything and chuck on some sealant :)

19 hours ago, qwerty4real said:

How much oil does the gearbox hold? and do you fill it up to the edge of the fill hole? and one more thing is Halfords part synthetic 75W/90 GL-5 Gear Oil ok?

Yes, edge of the hole, but the gearbox is able to hold more, mine currently has filled with 3liters of oil (i hope they are still there).

Just thought I would reply to this topic with an explanation of why my gearbox was actually leaking. What had caused the leak was rust, it had crept up in between the tin plate and the rubber gasket/seal as when I pulled off the cover the was big flakes of rust between the mating surface of the rubber and the tin plate.

So I cleaned up the tin plate with a wire wheel on a bench grinder and just picked any rust off the rubber with my fingernail, and then put some Dirko gasket silicone on the tin plate and bolted it back on.

I have yet to put oil in the gearbox because I am waiting on the silicone to set so fingers crossed it doesn’t leak.