Lupo GTI - Xenon Headlight Main Beam Stuck On, help please

chrisbwy

Hi All,

Driving home yesterday at night I flicked the main beam on ok, a few moments later tried to flick it off. But blue light stayed on, not sure if one or both Xenons stayed on main beam, but oncoming cars were flashing me. I tried several times to flick the main beam back off again and finally they went back off and blue light went out too. Whilst I was frantically trying to get them off I started to smell an electrical burning. Once the main beam went off the smell stopped. Made it home ok resisting not to put main beam back on.

I haven't tried it again today nor any diagnostics - thought I'd ask here first, see if anybody else had the same happen to them or have any ideas.

I've read on here that the Xenons use an internal solenoid to switch between dipped and main beam. I assume there's no feedback from the headlight solenoid system to keep the blue light illuminated if the solenoid gets stuck. So am I looking at the indicator stork? Or is there a relay between stork and solenoid?

If your suggestion is to change the stork - does the steering wheel and air bag need to come off?

Thanks in advance for your comments and help.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Rich.

Car went into garage today for a Service so I asked their opinion too. Change stalk was their first suggestion.

I tried Xenon main beam a few times after arriving at garage and it worked on/off both lights fine - but I only left them on main beam for a few seconds. When it failed the night before they had been on main beam for a few minutes. Anyway it's sure to fail again so think I'll change and eliminate the stalk.

Do you know if the GTI stalk is the same as non-GTI Lupos and if it's still available from VW?

Do you know the fuse number so I can mark it if it needs removing in a panic?

Regards and thanks

Chris

In the how to section, i've posted some pics of how to do a full rebuild of the indicator stalks. I included the high-low beam switch too, which is a tiny little contact thing. Worth having a go at seeing if you can find the source of the problem, but me thinks it might be simply a dodgy contact or loose plug. 

Yeah, in the meantime @Rich's fuse idea is the way to go. 👍🏻