SDI Crankshaft pulley (auxillary drivebelt pulley) removal 1.7 SDI

I'm really stuck trying to remove the crankshaft pulley in the process of doing the timing belt change on a Lupo 1.7 SDI. It's the four hex bolts that attach the crankshaft pulley, really struggling to get them to budge and worried about stripping the hex. Does anyone know a workaround to get it off? Makeshift locking tool or some other trick?

Managed to lock the crankshaft pulley by putting it into 5th and wedging the brakes on with an old table leg against the seat. Bolts came out then. Now to get the pulley itself off somehow...

It is, the How-To guide's been really helpful but the pulley is just really stubborn, even with the rust remover gel etc. Going to try a tool/puller later when I can get hold of one or make something DIY...

Light at the end of the tunnel now. If anyone ends up here with a stuck pulley, and the rust removal gel or you don't quite have the parts to make a DIY tool, I ended up using a 2-armed gear puller which brought it off in seconds after hours of trying to get it to budge. The "harmonic balance puller" pictured with the 4 flat prongs and bolt set, won't fit properly (I couldn't create enough clearance even by lowering the engine to get the puller bolt in, even though the first stage of it will attach. A 3-armed puller might also be tricky to fit.)

Back to the How-To guide for now! 

IMG_20210726_191857845_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210726_193123139_HDR.jpg

Edited by decvalts
formatting

It's finally all done and working 😀 I can see why the SDI earns its reputation for the cambelt change...but all good for another 40,000 miles/ 4 years. 

One thing I did find out, which may just be a strange idiosyncrasy on my own SDI, is that the recommended aux drive belt suggested on all car parts sites did not fit! It was too short by a centimetre or so, which made it virtually impossible to get over the pulleys with the tensioner fully extended. I thought I was going mad, but when I took the old belt to measure, it is longer than the recommended part. The belt suggested by car parts factors is usually a Dayco 5PK1220 or equivalent (122 cm belt) but I had to get a 5PK1230 belt (123 cm) for it to have any chance of fitting without using excessive force on the pulleys/tensioner.

I can't find anyone reporting this problem before, so it's possible that some garage has replaced a pulley on my drive belt set up with a slightly larger/non-OEM one in the past, and slightly changed the required belt size, but just thought I'd leave a note here in case anyone comes across a similar issue.

Edited by decvalts
typos

@mk2Of course, there's a picture of the actual puller I used (successfully) attached as well below. There's a bunch of other Lupo SDI cambelt related (and water pump) photos in this shared album, might be of use to anyone, feel free to take any of those for the how-to as well. https://photos.app.goo.gl/p2f3fL4h7e1gfvCz8 

IMG_20210726_192429176_HDR.jpg

Edited by decvalts
link