Buyer's guide (all models Lupo and Arosa) -still being edited...

mk2

This is a brief list of items to check or inspect before or after buying a Lupo (or Arosa). Second attempt! Put together from lots of contributions from @Skezza@Rich, @RAB, @Sausage, @lupogtiboy, @Little tank, @C3peteo, @MattyB, @Blue Loop, @battlebus, @danno

It's not a how-to fix it guide, or what has caused a particular issue identifier thing. Just stuff to look out for, that happens a lot on various models. So for example, if your wheel has fallen off, that's not a common problem and wouldn't go in this post :)

Please feel free to add any items that we've missed. I know for sure there are more that we hadn't thought of at the time of posting.

Covers:

Tdi

Sdi

Gti

1.4 8V

1.4 16V sport

(not FSI)

All trim levels E, S and sport, with 'fun' variants like "cat and mouse", "cambridge" etc.

-------

Rust:

Roof channels

Rear arches

Rear suspension beam

Front sills (behind arch plastic cover if never cleaned out)

Front subframe

Power steering swage crimps

Suspension springs & cups

Anti roll bar

Brake pipes

Brake hose swage crimps

Exhaust system behind/after cat

Wear or common items (not including normal stuff like brakes):

Pedal box (not Gti or Tdi)

Gearbox bearings (only 085 type)

Front wheel bearings

Door check strap pins

Driver's door lock barrel

Rear wiper motor/squirter

Alternator brushes/regulator

Suspension rubber bushes (all)

Steering rack ball joints

Lower suspension arm ball joints

CV joints (mostly left hand side)

Front tyres (caused by cowboy suspension work)

Rear shock absorber bump stops

Wing mirror adjustment controls

Heating air direction deflection controls

Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder

Rear washer pipe joint (separating) inside LHS reawheel arch

Upper door card/panel clip failure (around lock pin)

Automatic gearbox (due to neglect- no fluid/filterchanges)

Electrics:

Electric window motors

Electric window switches (water ingress)

Ignition switch

Lights switch

Indicator stalks

Central locking mechanism/sensors

ABS sensors

Main engine/ECU power loom relay behind fuse panel

Blower fan speed control resistor pack

Engine cooling fan motor

Engine:

Coolant temp sensors

Throttle position sensors

Ignition modules/coils

Ignition leads

Crank timing sensors

Coolant thermostats

EGR valves

Glow plugs

Camshaft lobe wear (only on 3 cyl diesel)

Coolant flange "O ring" leaks

Valve cover seal oil leaks

Piston rings (on poorly maintained petrol engines)

Clogged oil breather/inlet/egr ducting

Breather pipe heater (gti)

Water ingress Leaks:

Bonnet cable release seal in fresh air plenum

Door membranes not resealed after cowboy repairs

Pop out windows seal

Hatchback seal

Hatchback electrics flexi duct seal

Rear light clusters to bodyshell seal

Windscreen seal (after cowboy window replacement)

Common damaged items (cowboy garage work):

Door seals behind door cards/panels

Door cards/panels

Under engine trays cracks/loose/missing

Engine electrics, incorrect loom routing

Engine electrics, missing loom securing clips

Engine electrics, damaged cables & connectors

Headlight clips/covers/reflector damage

Plastic cam belt cover damage/missing bolts

Engine dressing cover damage/missing bolts

Battery fuse cover damage/cracks

Exhaust mounting points missing

Shock absorber boots damage/incorrectly fitted

Jacking points severely dented/damaged/rusty

Poorly installed aftermarket hifi

Edited by mk2
Additional stuff
  • Like 1

Add to water ingress around speakers if aftermarkets fitted - need to be sealed in really! This can leak even if the membrane behind the rest of the door card is untouched.

heated wing mirrors on GTI are often replaced with non heated glass or the heating stops working - has been the case on both my GTIs

I know you’ve got electric window motors but even if the motors are fine the guides are only plastic and often snap meaning when the glass invariably slips out of the guide you have to help the glass up by holding it in place else it refuses and automatically winds the window the whole way down. 

Not really rust but the GTI (and maybe other?) spoilers have a paint issue where they bubble underneath

high level/third brake light often not working, *very* common issue on the GTI and more often than not the whole thing has been bodged before as the spoiler is originally bonded on and held by I think 2 bolts under a small plastic panel

my old sunroof model had the classic sticky mechanism issue where it would sometimes refuse to close, perhaps true of all aging sunroof vehicles though!

May just have been unlucky but I have had 2/2 alternators fail at around 90,000 miles one non air con one air con model 2002 GTI

35 minutes ago, mickster said:

Add to water ingress around speakers if aftermarkets fitted - need to be sealed in really! This can leak even if the membrane behind the rest of the door card is untouched.

heated wing mirrors on GTI are often replaced with non heated glass or the heating stops working - has been the case on both my GTIs

I know you’ve got electric window motors but even if the motors are fine the guides are only plastic and often snap meaning when the glass invariably slips out of the guide you have to help the glass up by holding it in place else it refuses and automatically winds the window the whole way down. 

Not really rust but the GTI (and maybe other?) spoilers have a paint issue where they bubble underneath

high level/third brake light often not working, *very* common issue on the GTI and more often than not the whole thing has been bodged before as the spoiler is originally bonded on and held by I think 2 bolts under a small plastic panel

my old sunroof model had the classic sticky mechanism issue where it would sometimes refuse to close, perhaps true of all aging sunroof vehicles though!

May just have been unlucky but I have had 2/2 alternators fail at around 90,000 miles one non air con one air con model 2002 GTI

Spoilers - yes, this is a common issue. What happened was they where left at the factory primmed in damp environment. Absorbed the water, then sprayed then when warm the moisture came out. The only way to fix this is to buy a new spoiler (primed), leave in a house for a good 1 year (dehumified) then take it t the pain place. No problem since

Third bake light. Mine went because the cable went, common issue that TPS provide a kit for.

Unlucky on the alternators for sure.

Exhuast on Sport/Gti is a centre system. This can be pricey to replace for a OEM one (for a rear box Gti is over £600 when i last looked). If it rattles the baffles are loose.

GTi - production location changed in late 2003/early 2004. It it has a B in the serial number is a Belgium built. Earlier cars built in Wolfsberg. Minor detail differences include. Wolfsberg - Red i badge and 1.6 16v on the engine cover. Beligum built - Silver i badge and Gti on the engine cover.

FSI - not sold in the UK, cannot run E10.

Edited by lupo1.0se