Diesel engine management warning light on ( 1.7 SDI )

BlacknYellow

Hello everyone.

I just joined the Lupo family.

I got my Lupo yesterday but today when I took it out for a drive, after around 11 miles I was at the traffic lights and the warning light came on and there was no response from the gas pedal.

Engine was still running but the light kept flashing and the pedal wouldn't respond.

RAC said it might be the gas pedal sensor but the dealer said that they've had it changed.

Any ideas of what could it be?

Thank you in advance.

There's a little metal flexi (bicycle brake type) cable that runs between the end of the pedal and the sensor. Check to see if it's popped off. Also get a diagnostic interface thing (Ebay?), that can run VCDS. Has the most useful set of info for our Lupos to find out what's happening if you get wierd problems.

oh, and welcome to club lupo! :)

Thank you for coming back to me.

I did check along with the rac guy that came out but everything was fine.

Now it's in the garage waiting for a diagnostic.

Would you happen to have a link for a good diagnostic interface?

Personally I think there was an issue but the dealer removed/reset the lights and sold it like this.🤔

If it runs and starts fine, then the main sensors (crank, 3 temp, inj3, inj quantity) are all ok. So most likely nothing to do with the engine. The throttle sensor is right up above the pedals and is particularly difficult to get to even after removing just about everything.

About two weeks ago someone on here had the exact same problem and changed it- might be worth having a read- wasn't the throttle sensor in the end either... they're pretty reliable. It is possible that in the past, someone has changed your pedal box and in the process trapped/nicked/cut part of the loom, which now has finally shorted out? Most likely an intermittant wiring fault.

If you're thinking of hanging onto the car for a while, you could buy the genuine Rosstech diagnostics lead. But there are loads of clones on Ebay. Just buy one from a UK seller for a Polo 6N model. If it doesn't work, you can always get your money back. :)

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

The throttle sensor is right up above the pedals and is particularly difficult to get to even after removing just about everything.

Yes I was told about that. 

Apparently the dealer according to his words, he had the sensor changed.

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

If you're thinking of hanging onto the car for a while, you could buy the genuine Rosstech diagnostics lead. But there are loads of clones on Ebay. Just buy one from a UK seller for a Polo 6N model. If it doesn't work, you can always get your money back. :)

Thank you for the information.

I'm planning on keeping it for a very long time.

Will have it fully painted etc .

Has some rust on the roof driver's side where it meets the plastic railings.

😀

Yeah, that's a nice unit. Perfect at advanced garage level. Will you buy one for me please... :)

Pics of car please for us all to admire!

Roof rust in the gutters is one of the most common things.... We're working on a new buyers guide. Last one was accidentally deleted after a load of us members spent ages going through all the different details.

Hey, if they replaced the throttle sensor already, chances are it wasn't that in the first place if it's still messing up. Drivers seat out, kick panels out and time to lie down on your back with a strong light to check everything really thoroughly. Check each plug and loom cable really carefully.

5 hours ago, mk2 said:

Yeah, that's a nice unit. Perfect at advanced garage level. Will you buy one for me please... :)

Haha is that too much for personal use?

Will take pics once I have it done for sure!

Is there a way to avoid the rust from happening?

Tomorrow they will run the diagnostics at the garage so I should know tomorrow what's wrong, I hope.