Anyone else got problems with modern Fuel?

stator

1.4v 16v 75hp AUA engine (20 years old, <80k), currently stalls if I put anything less than 99 RON.

My trustworthy garage have declined to investigate.

I could take it to a more "advanced" garage, who found and fixed my MAP sensor issues, but not sure if it's worth the money.

Maybe the cars just too old to be running on modern fuels.

I know all the labels say E5 for up to 5% ethanol but the actual amounts can vary, has the actual amount increased recently? Could that be related?

One of the fuels my car likes is Shell v-power which contains 0% ethanol, despite being labelled E5

The error codes I get are "Fuel trim system too lean" on anything less than 99RON

Anyone else got similar problems, or is it just me?

Nah, I hate to say it, but there must be a fault. My guess is it's running lean- possibly caused by a dodgy temp sensor. 

The only thing you should notice is with a lower octane fuel is lower power at WOT and slight knocking. Higher octane fuel burns slower at a specific compression pressure, developing high combustion pressure later in the cycle (think crank pedal being horizontal - instead of at a slight angle-  on a bicycle gives max push for a given pressure).

The additional of ethanol actually improves octane rating and slows down the burn. The only thing that it's not good for are copper or zinc metal alloy based components, once the fuel goes stale (it becomes acidic).

• Like 1