Crashed GTi on Autotrader

Y2ACP

Good for parts... Shame. Looks like it was in mint condition.

You'd need another donor car for all the broken body panels. Vdub don't sell them anymore.

• MattyB changed the title to Crashed GTi on Autotrader

It’s too expensive to repair which is the problem even done on the cheap. You end up with a 170k car and on the hit list for £3k done if it’s to it’s previous well kept condition. It’s also too expensive as a parts car

1 hour ago, tigcraft said:

It’s too expensive to repair which is the problem even done on the cheap. You end up with a 170k car and on the hit list for £3k done if it’s to it’s previous well kept condition. It’s also too expensive as a parts car

Agree which is why I suggest the slow accumulation of parts at the right price over time, slowly slowly catchy monkey 

Has anyone done a rebuild cost analysis on this car?

The magnesium tailgate and whole ali front end bits would come in at at least £1.5k. Add to that all the plastic and lights, maybe another 1k. Then you'll heed a decent paint job adding maybe another £750.  So already the finished car owes you about £4k, not taking into account all the work hours (you could have earned £££ working). Maybe 75h (two weeks of salary). A decent much lower milage Gti sold on here the other day for £3.5k, so on the face of it, this is a loss maker. Plus it has an insurance claim/mark against it which will reduce it's resale value even further.

I'd break it for parts if bought for about £1k, but i think i'd only break even at that price. Wheels/interior/doors/interior fittings/engine and box (although high milage)/exhaust/dash/glazing/wiring bits/clips/lights.... And about 20h of labour. So I'd need to get back about £1400 if bought for 1k.

I see it at £600 and that’s generous. You’ve engine, box, average gti interior, wheels and a few bits of ‘free’ trim to balance the value. There’s labour to pick it up and a day to break it, label it and shelve what’s rest.  A breaker would pay £300- £400 that’s all

I guess someone naive like me is going to buy it,I was thinking any boot £50 rear bumper £200 front top bumper £200 wings salvageable,just the Bonnet try to fit none gti?plus paint.Maybe a slow build for Rich bet he has most parts needed?

39 minutes ago, Y2ACP said:

I guess someone naive like me is going to buy it,I was thinking any boot £50 rear bumper £200 front top bumper £200 wings salvageable,just the Bonnet try to fit none gti?plus paint.Maybe a slow build for Rich bet he has most parts needed?

Then there’s front panel, bonnet hinges  always go and possibly runs into a corner windscreen break,  intercooler, radiator, alternator, boot floor and possibly any door gap trailing edges to stretch back. Doing one end is enough on any car.

Done it professionally for decades and it gets tiring then got into restoration!! 

Ok So my thoughts on this.

Things it needs for sure

Slam panel

Crash bar

pasenger head light

Front bumper (upper)

Bonnet

Rear bumper

boot lid

grill

passenger side lamp

washer jet cover

Parts it "May" need

Drivers head lamp

Spoiler (if it has bad bubbling)

radiator

raditator fan

Front bumper (lower) - looks ok from the photos?

bonnet catch

bonnet cable release

Some bits are easier to get than others. Tail gate is a standard lupo item (not aluminum). Where as where it will get troublesome is the bonnet as the geninue aluminum ones have not been stocked by Vw for well over a decade (suprised that was not picked up when assesing the car, but i am not sure the assesor would have full knowledge of these cars).

In terms of parts valvue. For just over £1000 that is not bad considdering that the doors and wings are good. Also interior looks in good shape. Then to considder the mechanical stuff like a 6 speed gear box etc. It is probably is worth that if not more in bits.

Edited by lupo1.0se

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I'd reshell it into my spare shell.

But really, just keep well away.

Auto trader is not the place for this 

Moron 

Agreed!

It sold at full asking price. There was a bidding war. It didn't need anything like the number of parts that Lupo 1.0se said that it needed for sure. There is no bubbling spoiler either as that was a brand new part. 

In spite of what tigcraft says, the bonnet hinges are fine. GTi's  don't have an intercooler. The door gaps are unaffected. The alternator was untouched and also new. There are plenty of steel bonnets around under £50 and an aluminium one in Germany. The weight difference is neither here nor there.

Sometimes you have to actually go and see a car to know what it needs. 

Yes. I'm sure the weight of the bonnet is negligible.

Regardless of the parts list confusion, in my eyes it wasn't worth the money and I'm glad you found a suitable mug.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deserves what? Why are you so rude, offensive and unhelpful on this forum? I've never met such an unfriendly place. Are you jealous? Do you know the person who bought it? Do you know their circumstances? Their expertise? Their experience? Their knowledge? Their plans? Their timescale? Their costings? The parts that they have obtained? 

@LucyP It's not that we're unfriendly or unhelpful, it's just that over the years, we've seen this many many times before. So we're actually trying to help people not have a hard time. It's all about enjoying your little vdub- it's why people buy them instead of Vauxhalls, Fords or Toyotas...

Many people start a project and usually it ends up stuck (unfinished) because they either can't get a specific part, get something fabricated at a reasonable cost or just can't crack how to match up their ECU with their new loom or something. Rebuilding a classic car is not generally for the faint hearted. The gti is known to be one of the more difficult ones because of few genuine vdub parts available or a lack of wrecks to salvage bits from. It's also why there's a lucrative Jap import trade in Gtis.

@Rich has a few parts, but not many. There is (was) a white gti in a southampton breakers a couple of months back. A breaker in Thame also has a few gti spares.

In all seriousness, please prove us all wrong by starting a build thread and make us all eat humble pie. You'll have seriously earned your respect on here once done and - yes - be the envy of many of us, me included :)

Ditto as above. It’s a delicate task repairing vehicle to a ‘professional’ std and most people can’t do it. They are a labour of love and in this case the car mentioned is just not worth it. A lot of people don’t see the work in it and as much as you help them and explain they are stubborn and  have to learn the hard way.