Rattley idle, wobbly stick

LupoTDI

I’ve got a rattle while idling (goes away when clutch is pressed - pedal is very loose feeling at the top) Also we have a very wobbly gearstick. Could the two be connected? Is it clutch and release bearing, or could it be something more in-depth? Gear linkage perhaps? Rattling doesn’t persist while driving, all gears engage. Car is on 61k and hasn’t been used much (a few hundred miles) in the past 2 years. Any advice welcome. Thanks.  

08E3398F-0110-4DA1-9FCF-A339C1BE4D4D.jpeg

Yeah 100% right... You'll need a new clutch bearing, and clutch while you're at it even though it probably doesn't need one with just 61k. Worth bleeding the master cylinder before you take it somewhere. New gearbox fluid too...

PerfeCt thanks @mk2. Great advice. I’ll get it into a local garage this week. Looking forward to getting it right and enjoying it. It’s been a few years since we sold our tdi ... regretted every minute of it!

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Yeah 100% right... You'll need a new clutch bearing, and clutch while you're at it even though it probably doesn't need one with just 61k. Worth bleeding the master cylinder before you take it somewhere. New gearbox fluid too...

23 hours ago, ObjectiveAway said:

Gear linkage is very common issue for vw cable shifters, few new bushings and it will shift lot better.  
If your car has clutch cable, might be your clutch bearing is fine, and you just need to readjust clutch cable.

Super, that's really helpful, thanks. Yes, I think the clutch might need adjustment rather than replacing as it's biting well (and sounding good/stalling when trying to take off with handbrake on - that old chestnut!) But the pedal doesn't feel right and the stick is stiff to engage with the gear change feeling a wayward at times. I'll see what the garage says when they give it a once over tomorrow. Despite the gearing issue - picked it up this morning and smiled all the way to the valet! Such fun 🤗

On 5/26/2021 at 12:25 PM, ObjectiveAway said:

Gear linkage is very common issue for vw cable shifters, few new bushings and it will shift lot better.  
If your car has clutch cable, might be your clutch bearing is fine, and you just need to readjust clutch cable.

TDI has a hydraulic clutch, mine has 175,000 on the clock and I'd say mine has both these issues but neither bad enough to be annoying, the Lupo sport I had even more miles but the clutch was good, and minimal rattle

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LupoTDI said:

Super, that's really helpful, thanks. Yes, I think the clutch might need adjustment rather than replacing as it's biting well (and sounding good/stalling when trying to take off with handbrake on - that old chestnut!) But the pedal doesn't feel right and the stick is stiff to engage with the gear change feeling a wayward at times. I'll see what the garage says when they give it a once over tomorrow. Despite the gearing issue - picked it up this morning and smiled all the way to the valet! Such fun 🤗

Which gear is difficult to engage, if its 3rd gear on the way up its gearbox synchro's these wear if you hammer the car

It could also be that the slave cylinder is faulty or needs bleeding (it's a hydraulic clutch on a tdi). If the clutch doesn't fully disengage when changung gear, shifts can require more stick effort, which like @weslangdon says can cause the syncros to wear. Usually the little teeth on the brass ring become rounded off- easy fix/swap, but gearbox needs to be opened up to do it. Same gearbox as the tdi 9N polo if that helps... :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You're all wrong.

The **** plastic bush on the top of the selector tower just under the surface has gone.

It'll wobble like ****.

If you're a pikey, you'll just poke out the remains and slice some water hose and stick it back in....

@Rich if the bush had gone, wouldn't it mainly affect 1 and 3 (left to right swivel), as in and out would still be fine (up and down on the tower). But what do I know. That stupid plastic locking peg always bugs me.

I still reckon the clutch noise is a shot releaser though.

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2021 at 11:31 PM, mk2 said:

@Rich if the bush had gone, wouldn't it mainly affect 1 and 3 (left to right swivel), as in and out would still be fine (up and down on the tower). But what do I know. That stupid plastic locking peg always bugs me.

I still reckon the clutch noise is a shot releaser though.

Aye. You were right. Noise gone, stick still wobbly - but also still works...