Help with Relay

Gedrog

Hi Guys long time lurker 1st time poster

I have a 2004 1.4TDI Lupo issue started of a while ago where it would randomly just cut out or not start it has now progressed to where it intermittently starts 

I replaced the ignition switch which was a breeze with the right tools but issue still present so I replaced what I think is Relay 109 says so on the cover but do you think you can find a photo of it anywhere 

All photo's indicate that it is relay in top right but definitely marked as relay 103 on the casing in that position 

The one next to Relay 19 was grey and marked 109 so I hope I replaced the right one as these two relay's are about the only ones visible before I have to start a complete open heart surgery to reach the others 

But this did not solve my issue the first couple of tries it did not work then I had a good few positives I can hear the relay engage fuel pump prime I can hear the relay chatter when this happens before closing solid 

It started continuously for a good few tries 

During these good periods I can hear the fuel pump prime the OBDII reader connects properly and I can read error codes but none is displayed beyond that my unit is limited

Pulled off brake hard and engine died after that I tried several times without success I ordered another relay in-case the new one was dodgy but this made me worry the fact that when I brake the engine died suggest it is a wiring issue somewhere causing the problem. 

With regard to the relay I installed it with the small pin in the left bottom corner hope this is the correct orientation it is a bit of a challenge getting pictures

I found removing relay 19 makes it a little easier to access the relay and I also hot glued part of a bottle cap to the relay to get a better grip on it  

My age and my weight is not doing me any favours unless someone can think of another reason why, that is easy to fix I will try my hand at it otherwise I will send it to the garage that I hope it will have all the relevant diagnostic tools to resolve it. 

1573783482_Lupofun.thumb.jpg.b4e4c9ba1e2b4f04beec28a639dc20b0.jpg

Usually if I can’t solve an electrical problem within 30 mins with my ‘power probe’ then I find it’s more cost effective to call one of my regular auto electricians. Probably not what you want to hear? 

2 minutes ago, tigcraft said:

Usually if I can’t solve an electrical problem within 30 mins with my ‘power probe’ then I find it’s more cost effective to call one of my regular auto electricians. Probably not what you want to hear? 

I do not like to admit it but I think you are spot on my time is worth more than trying to struggle through what is probably a complex issue.

When the car died after braking I kind of realised this is not a simple fix and I have resolved to paying someone to fix it 

• Like 1

Sounds like you've been chasing the right things. Exact same as I would have done.

I've been thinking about if there's an easy way to check the loom feed on the AMF engine, and I can't. And then it hit me- have you checked the moulded fuse bus bar in the fuse box on top of the battery? They are known to cause wierd leccy issues in all models of vdub of that era. Affects AC, power steering, fan and all sorts of stuff you'd think are ignition switch related.

Oh and welcome (very belated by the sound of things) to CL :)

Pics of car?

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Sounds like you've been chasing the right things. Exact same as I would have done.

I've been thinking about if there's an easy way to check the loom feed on the AMF engine, and I can't. And then it hit me- have you checked the moulded fuse bus bar in the fuse box on top of the battery? They are known to cause wierd leccy issues in all models of vdub of that era. Affects AC, power steering, fan and all sorts of stuff you'd think are ignition switch related.

Oh and welcome (very belated by the sound of things) to CL :)

Pics of car?

You would think I have lots of pictures of the wee beasty I am it's second owner owned it now for 7 years but I could only find one picture, last year was the first year VW did not call to service and MOT it, and this year I am having the first issues with it😬

I already re-seat all the fuses on the fuse bus bar but will re-check before I call Auto electrician charging it overnight battery was already running low and if it is anything like my F650 Dakar it does not start well when the battery is low 

Lupo fun.jpg

After a night's charge and again reseating the top plate fuses she started up straight away pulled off braked hard no issues it could be that the battery was already very low and braking robbed it of essential voltage will leep an eye on it over the next couple of days need y confidence restored before going on extended drive 

Quick update after all that work and contorting my fingers to get the new relay in, the initial response was not very positive but after charging the battery overnight car started without hesitation until I drove it out of the cul-de-sac, and just to completely destroy my confidence it died.

What me and Auto Electrician saw today was the car started up fine and I could not replicate the failure even went for several runs but then he decided to make sure anyway and when he moved the fuse box out of the way the car immediately died

Auto Electrician suspect the relay socket  clamps that grab the pins of the relay is slightly worn so pinched them -reinstalled the relay and it started up right away for good measure we have left the covers off as we both doubt that this could be the end of it.

TBC

• Like 1

Interesting... I'd be surprised if it's the relay "sockets", but you never know.

Actually, one of my bug bears is the tiny little spade terminals used on the TDI injectors (all early era PDI injectors). They use the tiny 3mm spades which are good for a couple of amps. But the injectors need about 20A... So they all fail in the end. I rip off the plastic covers, pinch them up (like your sparky), then push them back on so they're really tight. Usually sorts the problem. Bad design. Cheap.

• Like 1