Living with my recently acquired Arosa Tdi

tigcraft

So after many many years ago of Lupo Tdi ownership I thought it’s time for another to put the FUN back into boring motoring. 
Looking to buy another lupo Tdi became painful, every day I searched eBay, gumtree and autotrader, four, five times a day in fact. That took a period of 26 weeks obsession or what? They were truly few and far between and the good ones always sold on the first day of advertising 🙄It was the lupo I really wanted but the Arosa was also a happy ’second’ choice. 
 So three weeks ago I found, raced, rushed and flew as fast as I could to see an Arosa Tdi, good colour, fairly good previous history and it was actually ON MY DOORSTEP! 
I bought it! 
It was clean but far from mint. It just needed to be ‘average’ as a day to day restoration......

F0554F0F-1EEB-4278-88CD-4E7D031FC58C.jpeg

ED3E9471-E646-45A8-8E83-CF4BE9617B9C.jpeg

• Like 1

I love that colour. You must do the EGR bypass and breather mods. It makes a huge difference on the AMF engine. I think there are fewer Arosa tdis around than Lupos, so you really do have a rarity there. :)

I’ve a £15 piggyback chip on it from the last lupo and it goes very well with it. What do most people benefit from egr delete? 

I had to double take then, I thought it was my old one, same year and same colour. I didn't know of the EGR and other mods, though i did have a plug in turning box for it, that made it go well. i learned a few years later that one of my FB friends had bought it from the garage it was parted at and they got it properly remapped with the EGR delete and PD 130 injectors. Mapped to 120 ish.

1 hour ago, Tallika_Fan said:

I had to double take then, I thought it was my old one, same year and same colour. I didn't know of the EGR and other mods, though i did have a plug in turning box for it, that made it go well. i learned a few years later that one of my FB friends had bought it from the garage it was parted at and they got it properly remapped with the EGR delete and PD 130 injectors. Mapped to 120 ish.

Omg that’s plenty mental power for a midgets car! 

• Like 1

Back to the story......

The seller was a trader on the outskirts of Manchester who was full of bollox.....

Speel was “New tyres mate, cam belt done, lots of bills and I’ve taxed it and used it myself it’s that good”!

Tyres were dated summer 2011 for two 2017 for the others, tread worn off on inner front wheels...... 🙄

The car felt harsh and very ‘road noisy’ when tested. I wasn’t bothered as my plan was to buy whatever it needs as I wanted a keeper. 
So I bought it and didn’t even chip him as I knew the only truth he stated was the amount of calls he got over it and I’d lose it for the sake of haggling......

@weslangdonI was trying to think about that one, tdi sport? Thought they didn’t do one but then I remembered about ‘a petrol car’ as I’ve been fixated with diesels. 
Is it so much better to have a re-map than a simple cost effective chip ? The chip was summat I already had lying around from the previous vw and convenient to hand. 

Yeah, before mapping it do the egr and breather. Main advantage is the power is up a bit (good clean air ingested instead of exhaust gas plus oil fumes), smoother running, cleaner emissions for MOT time, less engine and turbo wear and better fuel economy. Once done, you may not even feel the need to remap. :)

5 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Yeah, before mapping it do the egr and breather. Main advantage is the power is up a bit (good clean air ingested instead of exhaust gas plus oil fumes), smoother running, cleaner emissions for MOT time, less engine and turbo wear and better fuel economy. Once done, you may not even feel the need to remap. :)

Ok that’s a fair point to do it. Cheers Eric 

I've had mine remapped by a tuner in Llanelli on the recommendations of an enthusiast I know who had been disappointed with another local expert, I'm delighted with it, more torque better economy a delight to drive and as my wife had a Lupo Sport tdi  at the same time the differences were palpable 

• Like 1

@weslangdonI’m curious to how much it was for your remap vs chip vs difference over std then difference over chip. 

Back to to story.... again..

first week of use and I took it to work. I shoved it on the two poster ramp and  properly inspected it...

One hole, near side drain plug surround, thin jacking point humps on the floor then came the scary bit..

a brake pipe that could only be described similar in looks to a heavily frayed handbrake cable where all the outer strands have gone to just leave a couple of inners held together! Omg 😱 I left the car at work that night as that SURELY WAS DANGEROUS! 
mit had only done 418 miles from its last mot six months ago but no way can it deteriorate that much! 
Together with that the NSR shock was also well wet and the car handled like a waterbed on wheels! Well I had a choice now. Do I fone the ministry up and drop the trader in it for a dangerous vehicle or put it right at my cost......

BF0F0676-0694-4472-93F9-383A15A0B562.jpeg

851EDFFF-43FA-4640-97DD-456A32E54FA3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Well in another thread’ clapped out suspension’ I’ve totally stripped suspension, brakes and refurbished all inc the subframe. 
 The car has been off the road for two weeks and I seriously miss the little ‘elf car’. Not had so much enjoyment in years on this car as all my tinkering usually is paid work from customers on cars I never drive.........

On 4/16/2021 at 2:32 PM, tigcraft said:

@weslangdonI was trying to think about that one, tdi sport? Thought they didn’t do one but then I remembered about ‘a petrol car’ as I’ve been fixated with diesels. 
Is it so much better to have a re-map than a simple cost effective chip ? The chip was summat I already had lying around from the previous vw and convenient to hand. 

Most Lupo tdi models were Sports, slightly lower and stiffer than the Arosa tdi, the one I had was kidnapped by my wife as it had an electric sun roof but we ran them side by side for a while

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well not much to report Arosa wise as I'm just so busy work related  and drive my Caddy van most days full of tools. It good on the other hand to use the caddy as another 'sensible' vehicle as that make me realise how I enjoy the Arosa in a pure  'lust for fun mode'. The Arosa is just undergoing an MOT at the moment as its the first one in my ownership. Only failed on steering arm ball joint and a horn and its currently stuck at the garage who carried out the MOT where  I also help out there on a 'freelance' basis. I've still a lot of lesser important jobs to do on it like a full paint as its scruffy everywhere but I still want to refine its ride first then I'll scrounge the Bake oven they have at some point but that'll probably be next year now.

Today I did the last part of my front brake overhall and changed the brake hoses to new since they were yet again cheap. I should have done it months ago but could'nt be arsed!  I'm in need of a good NSF wing if anyone has one but  by good I mean total scab free and not repaired, anyone got one?