Ad free?

tigcraft

6 minutes ago, weslangdon said:

The adverts annoy

Yes ur not kidding. There’s just not enough screen space left on my phone. 

Hadn't thought of that... I'm on a PC or tablet mostly. So tiny compared to screen size. But yeah on a phone, they'd be big. Ebay also has an annoying habit of using animated banner ads which I hate. They takes ages to load, eat up processor time and block everything on the screen (on a tablet).

The ads were smaller up to a few months back.

I think it might be something with the forum software. I have similar issue on another forum (on tablet devices) where the ad pops up and you CANNOT close it. You have to go back and then click again.

1 hour ago, lupo1.0se said:

I think it might be something with the forum software. I have similar issue on another forum (on tablet devices) where the ad pops up and you CANNOT close it. You have to go back and then click again.

Its not that severe, I mostly use an iPhone and I'd rather pay a premium that have my phone cluttered with rubbish I dont want to buy.

On 4/15/2021 at 7:46 PM, tigcraft said:

Its not that severe, I mostly use an iPhone and I'd rather pay a premium that have my phone cluttered with rubbish I dont want to buy.

I use android. It is really is honestly.

Edited by lupo1.0se

The ads are an unfortunate necessity to cover both the forum and hosting costs. All in, it costs just over £350 to keep this place running for the year - with the rise of ad blockers I don't even cover this cost, and I reduced the amount of of adverts and their size about 6 months back to try and make it as unintrusive as possible. I do use the hosting for a few personal things these days though so I'm happy to just pick the rest of the tab up myself.

It's a difficult balance...happy to hear any suggestions. We did have a CL "Premium" which was a cost option, but I stopped this because the footfall to the forum was too low to warrant making arrangements with companies so I could actually offer any perks so it didn't feel fair to charge people for what amounted to nothing more than a title.

So yes, happy to hear any suggestions.

I’m on ‘The Triumph Forum’ as they have a successful premium ad free policy for £5 pa. This is optional to whoever is happy with the payment. I’m happy to double that because a good percentage of info on here is useful to me. If people just come on here occasionally then adverts won’t kill them but regularly users might also be happy with ad free for a running cost fee. 

In the olden days, you could drop in a frame and hide it. Not sure if the forum template would allow that, but it might work. So basically bung in a frame, make the size something like 2 pixels square, shove it to the background then bung the ads in there? Some browsers (and ad blockers) don't like it though, with lots of click jacking warnings! @Skezza might know a trick? Maybe even @RAB? Who's that guy that moved to Spain or Switzerland- I think he's also html savvy?

Just one thing, please can you exclude script and animated ads. They sap browser performance.

On chrome on my android, it's fine. Are you using something like samsung browser. Not all browsers are created equal.