Re-Electric windows ’how to’

@mk2 Just read your window regulator repair. I’ve exactly the same problem as stated in both your posts and descriptions. I bought my ‘Rosa’ three weeks ago with the windows to repair as instructed by previous owner who couldn’t be arsed. He supplied used window regs in a cardboard box.

Drivers side ( the important one first) had the up/down clicks so I knew 1, power was there and two the switches were at least partly working if not fully. I took door apart to find butchered door cards and ripped membranes 🙄. I managed to get the mech out but it was a struggle. I took as little off as possible without disturbing the cable coil which was just the motor body off and armature showing, I managed to pry carefully the circuit board open in a fashion to see any dry joints or ‘hot spots’ which wasn’t so obvious. Washed all that out and the motor body with WD40. I didn’t expect much but just assembled it all back and the ruddy thing burst into life! 
 I didn’t really satisfy myself as  I feel the fault was never found. Today I did the same with the NS one and didn’t even get that far to the internals but that started working as well. 
What I have noticed though is that on the nsf one I had it stuck in the fully down position a few times  but that’s be cause I deliberately kept my finger on the down button well past it’s stop time and I think the circuit board got warm and must have some contamination in it and shut down. There was a few minutes time delay before it would send the glass back up again. To be continued when I fall out with it again......

Yeah, what is it with people ripping the weather seal membranes?! It keeps the rain out! So annoying, as you can't buy replacements anymore.

I don't think it's possible to burn out the leccy window motors by holding a button down. The microprocessor analyses the pulses it gets from that magnet ring to see if the motor is turning. If nothing happens after a few seconds, I reckon it just shuts off the activation relay. No power, no serious damage. I do like the way it knows how many pulses from top to bottom, so if it sees a change in speed before it gets to the top, it knows that someone has stuck their fingers in there! Clever design. I like.

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1

And even though I have leccy windows and wind ups in my Lupos, i prefer the wind ups. The leccy window switches are in such stupid positions. I mean who can click the switches with their elbows (which is where they are!)? And I have the seat fully back. 

29 minutes ago, mk2 said:

And even though I have leccy windows and wind ups in my Lupos, i prefer the wind ups. The leccy window switches are in such stupid positions. I mean who can click the switches with their elbows (which is where they are!)? And I have the seat fully back. 

Agree, and prone to be filled with water  when the windows are slightly down