VW Lupo 2002 1.4 tdi

cnmutt

Hi I am look for help with a problem with the gearbox on the Lupo . It’s noisy when the clutch is out ,I have had a new clutch and thrust bearing fitted but it still noisy .I have had the car 10 years and would not like to see it scraped. So how expensive would it be to repair now or get a replacement gearbox or would it be better to try to sell it to someone who could do the work themselves ?

My first thought is release bearing, but when you said that you'd changed it for a new one, the only other thing is the internal bearings in the gearbox. How many miles has it done? Gearboxes, when looked after, are good for about 150k.

new bearings cost about £120, plus labour. Worth fixing and keeping the car for sure. Good for another 100k at least.

With a new clutch pressure plate and release bearing, I'm pretty sure it's the bearing. Could be some rattling around the sleeve, but with the new reelease bearing, I can't see it making much noise. Or maybe wrong clutch plate fitted?

But either way, the box needs to come out again...

That's amazing. I guess if the clutch dust gets jammed between the tube the inner surface of the release bearing, it'd work as a perfect scraper; slowly but surely grinding it away... Maybe they should have used a ring of graphite to line the bore of the release bearing instead of plastic with grooves in. I'm tyring to think which cars I've seen with graphite.

I hadn't considered clutch dust getting stuck.