Silver 1.7 VW Lupo 53 reg 78k (York) ***UPDATE ON REPAIRS***

Make: VW Lupo 53 reg

Model: SDI

MOT: August 2021

Engine size: 1716 CC

Fuel type: Diesel

Milage: 78k

***UPDATE ON REPAIRS***

New brake discs and pads fitted, and water pump fitted.

I am really hoping someone wants her who can really do the work on her - cracking little car that gave me my independence after I was ill : I’ve had her 2.5 years.

The positives? In the last 2 years she’s had new battery, alternator, pedal box, and in March 2021 new brake discs, pads and water pump . Full service including new oil, air, pollen filter, two new tyres, front suspension arms, new drivers door hinge. Has a decent DAB stereo.  Red seats which are quite smart.

What else needs attention? Heater only works on full so needs some electrics there (probably resistor pack?), as well as rear windscreen wiper not working (again, electric). Bodywork isn’t perfect (silver) but I’ve tackled small patches of rust etc.

Price: open to offers (£700 ono).

Pictures to follow

Edited by KiwiYork
update afger garage work

Bargain for a restorer, especially with that low milage. SDIs are known to go on to over 300k miles. Shame it's not closer to me.

• Thanks 1

Thanks MK2 - really appreciate that feedback. I really hope someone would be intested in her who would have a bit of fun doing her up. Breaking my heart for sure but I don't have the skills or money to do it justice. You could have a road trip up here - I'll throw in some of Yorkshire's finest ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Post a few pics... you'll almost certainly get a taker.  Or put a few ads up on a Uni or college campus notice board. Perfect as a first car or a student motor. Low insurance and like @Rich says, just £30 tax. And super economical milage. With all those new bits, mechanically it sounds like it's not far off a new car underneath. The work that does need doing is simply maintenance parts, as would any SDI. Plus a few little things.

Besides probably about a weekend to do everything up, my guess the total parts cost would be max £200 and the car would be good for at least another 3-5 years. Cam belt/pump/tensioner/idler/front discs/pads/brake fluid/fan resistor/expansion tank. And best of all it has a current MOT so can be driven right now (with care).

I'm now looking at two dead lupos.... it's tempting.

• KiwiYork changed the title to Silver 1.7 VW Lupo 53 reg 78k (York) ***UPDATE ON REPAIRS***
On 4/3/2021 at 11:03 AM, mk2 said:

Post a few pics... you'll almost certainly get a taker.  Or put a few ads up on a Uni or college campus notice board. Perfect as a first car or a student motor. Low insurance and like @Rich says, just £30 tax. And super economical milage. With all those new bits, mechanically it sounds like it's not far off a new car underneath. The work that does need doing is simply maintenance parts, as would any SDI. Plus a few little things.

Besides probably about a weekend to do everything up, my guess the total parts cost would be max £200 and the car would be good for at least another 3-5 years. Cam belt/pump/tensioner/idler/front discs/pads/brake fluid/fan resistor/expansion tank. And best of all it has a current MOT so can be driven right now (with care).

Following on.... I went to a differnt garage who had a different opinion on what needed doing to her which they have now done so that she can be safely driven. She now has new brake discs, pads and water pump. They don't think she needs an expansion tank. I'll get some pics up soon too. 

With just a few minor things left to do, my guess is it's gonna be a keeper now! :) Probably worth about £700?

• Thanks 1

Yup, I have 3... All gas flowed and EGR deleted. Now getting about 78MPG all day long. Popped up to Wolverhampton the other day (210 mile round trip, mostly motorway), and as I was too early, slowed down and cruised at about 65. Managed 88 MPG. Amazing!

Gotta love the SDI. Simple, reliable, cheap to maintain and way more economical than even the latest fossil fuel burners. :)

7 hours ago, C3peteo said:

Did you get the head done by a pro or did you break out the dremel?

I haven't done any of the mechanical work .... not sure what the head bit is but I can tell you more if you're intersted?