VW fox power steering very stiff

Royboy

I have Vw  fox  59 plate for last year the steering sometimes goes very hard too turn  normally first thing on a morning or you can start the car a few times and it was ok   This went on for around year with steering pump having issues with the vw fox steering kept working then failing first thing on a morning I read that a low or bad battery could be at fault bad earth  and another part too check is the solid link fuses on battery tray harness they may have a hairline crack on them and many other issues with out getting a true fix  so I took a punt on my instincts and bought a second hand steering pump with module included  I changed this and the steering worked straight away after fitting so yes was worth getting A used pump off a polo not a fox for £30 and BOOM JOB DONE FIXED so even through my pump worked when it wanted it was faulty so take the punt buy a pump change it yourself it took me and my son only 2 hours too do and all ok now for past 3 weeks good luck 

5911A644-FB2A-4D37-A43C-847475CA228A.jpeg

801EEAD5-02EE-45A9-98D3-387EA16B2DD1.jpeg

BCD3F7CD-AF7E-4528-A2F1-8D55A42B19AF.jpeg

E8046EF0-8957-4B9C-B9DF-BC8F56F04B57.jpeg

Those power steering pumps with built in reservoirs are so handy if/when you need remote hydraulic power. Log splitters, mini home made power press, power flushing oil galleries, testing oil powered actuators etc etc. Usually the fuses as mentioned when steering stops. So common in Polos. Oh, and @Rich is right - damned vdub steering racks. Why can't they get their inner ball joints sorted...?

• Like 1

No schematics. Just build it... standard press with lever action to pump up the jam. Pull off pipe to cylinder and replace with pipe from leccy pump. That's it, oh and G O   S L O W  or you'll probably pop the press 'O' ring seal like I did first time. Surprisingly powerful. Ooh, i just thought, i could use it as an electric hydraulic jack too! Save that right handed pumping action... where's @mscherryviolet when you need some comment? :)

Yeah, more than likely. Actually, I had a wedding cancelled, two music festivals cancelled, two holidays cancelled, gym entry suspended, various sports activities all shut down, no vdub meets last year, various different club events cancelled and can't meet up with mates. Seriously thinking of putting on a major rave in a field near us. Oh, and my fav indian restaurant has shut down permanently. Bummer. All I can do work work work. So a bit different to @mscherryviolet who has various commitments she has to deal with on a continuing basis for the next 18 years or so... :) Respect.

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2021 at 7:54 AM, Rich said:

She's miserable and depressed these days which is all her own making.

Females....

I’m definitely not miserable or depressed. I’m actually the happiest I’ve been in a very very long time 😊

10 minutes ago, mscherryviolet said:

@mk2 🤔 

18 years? No I only have 13 years left of these commitments. 

Yay! She's back! :)

Yeah, makes sense (13 years...). I forgot that time flies when you're having fun!

You need to update your tag to Audi A3, or am I confused (more than likely). 

5 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Yay! She's back! :)

Yeah, makes sense (13 years...). I forgot that time flies when you're having fun!

You need to update your tag to Audi A3, or am I confused (more than likely). 

Yea I need to update definitely. :) 

I’m glad you’re happy to see me. :) 

I wouldn’t call being a slave to small little beings fun frank but yeah, time flies when you’re tired and your hair is falling out from stress 😂😂 

Picture of the slave driver for attention.

it’s a good job she’s beautiful. 

A01832D4-011B-44E0-9715-D2F72E717CAA.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Might not be the pump. Not worked on Fox, but it might be similar to Polo. Sometimes the fat power wire to the pump gets loose on the fuse block. (The big battery aluminium fuse block). And sometimes the fuses get a hairline crack...