Lupo SDi 1.7 Gearbox knackered.

mukimack

We have a Lupo 1999, been in the family for around 12-13 years now and its never missed a beat. Sadly all of a sudden the gearbox has given up and I do see a little puddle under the car of fluid. I think its gearbox oil. It was hard to change the gears when it went and now its completely gone. Haven't looked under the car yet will take a look tomorrow. Car is in ok condition in terms of exterior and interior and engine is still pretty good. Anyone has a gearbox on sale? or someone interested in purchasing the car as is? will post some pics tomorrow. 

I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am right now if it was neglected, sadly when I bought it it had a very faint wining noise so I changed the gearbox oil and it lived up until now. Has done 152k miles so its done well but I know gearboxes would go for longer. I do all the regular servicing my self so it has been looked after as well as I could with my limited knowledge. Asked around bristol area for labour charge and most people want £230-£250, that plus the actual price of the gearbox would exceed the value of the car I'd say. How much @Little tank looking for his Box?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 9:15 PM, mukimack said:

I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am right now if it was neglected, sadly when I bought it it had a very faint wining noise so I changed the gearbox oil and it lived up until now. Has done 152k miles so its done well but I know gearboxes would go for longer. I do all the regular servicing my self so it has been looked after as well as I could with my limited knowledge. Asked around bristol area for labour charge and most people want £230-£250, that plus the actual price of the gearbox would exceed the value of the car I'd say. How much @Little tank looking for his Box?

did you get a quote from gloucester road gearboxes.. i was thinking about getting my SDI reconditioned or serviced at least. im local to bristol 

I haven't asked those guys but I've decided to put the car up for sale with broken box if anyone is interested. I will list it in the for sale section soon. If it doesn't sell in a week I will have to scarp it. Sad to see it go but time has come for this donkey to go. :(

I really hate to say this, but it sounds like this may be candidate for breaking it up. Or someone very local who has the energy to do it up. Even towing it on road with a broken gearbox means the gears are still turning, as they're always meshed, but not selected.

From that condition, it costs about £1k to put the car back to new. And maybe 100 hours. Basically roadworthy, maybe £300 and 20h? Gearbox is the main expense.

I've put the car up for £250 if it doesn't sell then scappies will have it. Been offered £200 by a local scrapyard but would like to see this one live on if it can. Wouldn't actually mind letting someone have it for £200. As you said this will really be a project for someone wanting to maybe fix the gearbox or get a secondhand. 

• 2 months later...

I will just add this topic about 085 gearboxes and their failures. 25k miles after rebuild (without replacing bearings) mine gearbox started to grind. I know it will blow in any moment, but it seems like the gearbox hold a lot better if I don't brake with gears. Actually it started to whine after I started to brake with gears more. Thats my advice for any lupo user - don't brake with gears, if your gearbox starts to whine, don't brake with gears at all, just press clutch and brakes, but don't grind gears.