Has anyone fitted another type of high level brake light GTI

Jnathan

So it is turning into a massive nightmare tryng to source a high level brake light for when i have the spoiler resprayed. Has anyone ever 'upgraded' to something else from the vag range if the spoiler was being redone, is there any other option that may just plug and play and maybe fill in any difference in size the new light may leave ? Want to keep everything original but i have pestered so many people on ebay in germany and netherlands and no one has this part for me new or used. 

putting the part number into this website returns a result. https://gtvnaujos.lt/#/

Only problem is that it's in Lithuanian, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to figure out. Crazy that these have become a nightmare to get a hold of. Maybe I should have bought a couple when I replaced mine a couple of years back!

Good find ! Have tried to place an order, the payment side of things a bit difficult so waiting for some contact back hopefully next week. They only have options for certain banks no debit card no paypal 🙄 Thanks mate. 

Are the Gti HL brake lights no longer available from VW?

Since 1971 the UK minimum requirement for cars is 2 working brake lights, the high level 3rd brake light is seen as an additional brake light. For MOT this additional light is only tested if it is fitted.

So you could remove the light and as long as the other 2 main brake lights work it will pass MOT.

Just need someone clever to 3D print a blanking plate to fill in the gaping hole in the spoiler - it certainly would tidy up the look of the rear end. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately not, they are discontinued as far as i have found. A lot of people asking stupid money for used damaged items and some insisting i buy other parts to have a cracked brake light included .The lithuanian site posted above claims to have the part so ive managed to wire them the money and place an order fingers crossed the correct part comes and not a standard lupo brake light which i beleive is a different part number anyway. Fingers crossed 

Lithuanian sites a no go.. managed to pay using the details they sent me after ordering, then this morning they turn around and say they dont work with GB. Unsure why they have that as a delivery option and the shipping also increases a lot once picking UK option but no explanation. Pretty annoyed at this point. 😒

It will be GB leaving EU - its only been 2 months, you were probably their first UK buyer within the time. They won't have updated their website and don't want to collect VAT on behalf of the UK Government -why HMRC arrogantly thinks it can dictate to companies in other countries like this is nuts.

Have a look at Mk5 Golf ones - its an external brake light light like the Lupo, but unsure if it will fit. poverty spec Golf mount in the metal panel, Gti is within the spoiler mounted on an internal bracket.

You could cut the aperture out of a Mk5 Gti spoiler and get it bonded into the Lupo spoiler... but you may as well blank of your current opening removing something else to fail in future.

Edited by LR5V

Yes its obviously a leaving the EU issue, surely they could ask me to foot the cost and i would of done so,its not an expensive part. I even offered to have it delivered to a lithuanian address which then could of been driven to me but they still refused to accept the payment from Uk now to wait for my refund..

R.e mk5 light that is an option, im trying to keep it as original as i can do using another VAG product should still look like its meant to be. Depends if its plug and play though not sure if the contacts are the same. Found some on a couple of german websites and emailed to see if they would deliver to the uk only others are in japan and i am struggling to translate the pages and delivery options.

2 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Well done on your perseverance. I am sure you will find one at sensible money. Good luck.

Cheers grumpy.. i think im going to need it ! i cant justify buying a donor car at the minute but its looking more and more likely which is a shame. Im like a dog without a bone at the moment hassling anyone with gti bits for sale 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...