Was this a good deal? Six speed gearbox

cpcpeter

Hi all,

I found a breaker selling a six speed gearbox (FUT) from a 2002 Lupo GTi and thought that would be a good upgrade for my 2001 5 speed when the time comes.  It arrived today and I'm quite impressed - casing has no damage, no bad corrosion anywhere, there's no slack in the gears, no strange sounds, oil is at the right level and golden brown with no burnt smells, and looking at where the box is joined together there appears to be the faint remnant of grey sealant, so it may have had a 'recent' overhaul.  Judging by the release bearing that was still in it, the date of manufacture stamped was 2014.  Here's the kicker though - when I put it in gear and turn one of the flanges I was expecting the flange on the other side of the diff to turn in the opposite direction, indicating an open diff... however it turned in the SAME direction 😲 - Before I get too excited, does that mean what I think it means?  Have I just got a recently overhauled 6 speed box with an LSD??  I paid £175 including delivery - that sound too good to be true?!

Popular upgrade for pretty rare cars - I would say that's a great deal just for the box alone - it may be weaker than a 5 speed but has better ratios to suit the power band of the engine.

It should turn both flanges same direction in neutral too.  The Lupo may have been sat for a while - it could be gummed up with old oil.

Only way to truly tell is open the casing up and look - or - install it, you will feel the difference.  If it does have a diff, you have got a bargain as LSD and rebuild is about £800.

If it is LSD there are oils designed for to use with them...annoyingly only coming in litre bottles and IIRC 6 speed needs 2.1 litres

I went through all gears and neutral and both flanges turned same direction. As a matter of course I’ll crack open the case and check on the condition of everything closer to the time when I want to install. I installed my five speed with a Quaife not too long ago so I’ll certainly know by driving, even on stock power it’s transformative. It was my intention to swap the diffs but if it has one already then happy days.

What tends to fail on the six speeds? You say it’s weaker. I’m getting the engine up to around 160hp so hoping it can take it.

I'm just repeating what others have said about the strength - but not seen any evidence personally.

Should be fine for the power  -Mine is claimed to be at 160 with PO using as summer daily / tracking and then myself without issue.

I wouldn't open it up as chances are it's fine. Bung it in as is then after driving it and all nicely warmed up flush it and nice new fresh oil. I bet it'll last years. You lucky thing with an expensive diff. Chances are it was from a member's car on here- if you know what registration it came from?

The known 'fault' if you can call it that is that there's too much flex on the input and output shafts for 6th gear. It's the reason they added the magnesium end cover- to support two extra bearings that the 5 speed boxes don't have. To make it last, I always suggest using 6th gear for touring (it is a Gti) and drop to 4th or 5th when you cane it. The 4th and 5th gear cogs are right next to the main bearings so can take more abuse. 

But they are strong boxes and do last if looked after compared to the 085 type :)

• Like 1

Cool, I wasn’t planning on caning it in 6th, as you say I’d be in 3/4/5 for track mostly.

It was a black 2002 with about 130k miles on the clock. Had the reg plate covered but sustained damage to driver side front corner taking out the headlamp and arch. Any ideas whose this was?

I’m tempted to throw the ‘box in and see how it goes judging by the exterior condition. I hope it hasn’t been thrashed is my only worry. Having an LSD doesn’t often associate well with an old granny going down to the shops for a pint of milk...

Yeah - ton 20 isn't the most alluring experience in mine - its much happier at 90

2 hours ago, cpcpeter said:

Having an LSD doesn’t often associate well with an old granny going down to the shops for a pint of milk...

Nor is front end collision or even Dutch Grannies:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 8:57 PM, Jnathan said:

Sounds like you got a bargain there. Do you have any links or contact details to the car being broken i am after some parts too. 

Sorry, I had already asked whether any other parts were available and it was a 'no' back from them :(