Another front subframe alignment topic...

imaparana

Hi all,

It looks like im not the only one that has subframe/caster issues on oneside or the other. 

As previously mentioned on other topics, loosening the subframe bolts enables the subframe to be shifted about to align them.

Ive tried this and havnt had too much luck.

Im running powerflex bushes in my lower arms and remembered they have a washer/sleeve you insert above and below the rear bush into the subframe..... which thinking about it removes all adjustment for the subframe ?

Ill give removing these washers a go on the weekend and see how i get on, attached are the powerflex instructions on this.

For anyone with these issues and running powerflex this may be the issue.

if anyone sees anything im missing please let me know.

Lupo front rear bush powerflex.pdf

I don't know if its my browser but I cant access the instructions.

Mine came with powerflex bushes installed - you're absolutely right, that tube locks the centre of the bush into the recess in the subframe and the bore of the tube is tight to the bolt, stopping any adjustment.

I find the washer arrangement it be very Heath Robinson - they have a similar arrangement on their Mk2/3 golf bushes - that are a PITA to install, they did not go back on.

I would suggest swapping out the powerflex for something more OEM - either bog standard Mk4 Golf R32 solid bushes that are press in or try Superpro SPF2084K, the metal insert has an eccentric hole, that gives you some caster adjustment, depending how you rotate/install them they can be used to dial out torque steer, plus they have sufficient space around the bolt that allows subframe movement - with no random washers or tubes.

1 hour ago, LR5V said:

I don't know if its my browser but I cant access the instructions.

Mine came with powerflex bushes installed - you're absolutely right, that tube locks the centre of the bush into the recess in the subframe and the bore of the tube is tight to the bolt, stopping any adjustment.

I find the washer arrangement it be very Heath Robinson - they have a similar arrangement on their Mk2/3 golf bushes - that are a PITA to install, they did not go back on.

I would suggest swapping out the powerflex for something more OEM - either bog standard Mk4 Golf R32 solid bushes that are press in or try Superpro SPF2084K, the metal insert has an eccentric hole, that gives you some caster adjustment, depending how you rotate/install them they can be used to dial out torque steer, plus they have sufficient space around the bolt that allows subframe movement - with no random washers or tubes.

Cheers for the reply, will see how i go with removing the spacers, the super pro ones like they have a similar concept with the longer inner tube, r32 is an option, however not so easy to swap to a spare arm if one gets bent but will have a think, thinking abouT getting an alignment next week if I can sort the subframe out so will see

Edited by imaparana

First you set subframe, only then try to set lower arms, finally you can make a little adjustment by moving the ball joint, at the end of arms, littlebit diagonally in bolt spaces. Not much abilities to adjust something. There are also available special screws for more subframe adjusting.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

it worked, the wheel is now central in the arch which alot more subframe play. Im not sure why the powerflex bushes come with these spacers but they massively limit the alignment range of the front subframe.

I really think they are a daft design - unsure why PF do it that way when all the other poly bush brands emulate OEM - its like they are using up a batch off inserts that are too short with too big a drilled hole in the middle.

Did you just remove the tube or change bushes?

On 3/8/2021 at 11:19 PM, LR5V said:

I really think they are a daft design - unsure why PF do it that way when all the other poly bush brands emulate OEM - its like they are using up a batch off inserts that are too short with too big a drilled hole in the middle.

Did you just remove the tube or change bushes?

ive had a look at the superpro and they seem like they are similar however with a long sleeve though the middle rather than little washers.

Just removed the smaller washers and gave me the adjustment back

image.thumb.png.dddf2060062557e178caf7edf6a9ea29.png

Edited by imaparana