Security Access Codes

Maccamac

Been trawling through here, Ross-tech and OBDEleven trying to find a code that works. I'm trying to log into the engine control module to read live data, does any one know what the security access code is? Even ones for the other modules would be great.

You can use just about any generic USB-OBD2 lead with RossTech's freeware VCDS (you may need the drivers for the lead). Then you simply log in to the car, select engine and then measuring blocks. Everything is labelled once you go above option 00, so you know what data you're looking at. No code needed. Only if you want to do advanced stuff (which can brick the ECU if you do it wrong).

Unless you mean the vdub car lock out code, which is the SKC (secure key code). You can use VAG Tacho to extract that, using the same lead (different software).

• Thanks 1

I have an obd11 Pro reader, it doesn't seem to like the lupo. It let's me do all the usual stuff like resetting services and codes but for doing the more in depth stuff I need the security code. Currently downloading elsawin and I'll see if I can find what I need. 

You need to use the older K-line protocol, a bit like dial up instead of broadband... some OBD systems allow you the option to change the data link method (or protocol) :) 

Don't ask me what the K-line protocol means, as I've never found out! All I know is that the data rate is slower, but still works just fine for me. More than enough info to do some handy diagnostics or reset fault indicators.

Kline is just that nickname for KWP2000. Stands for keyword protocol 2000.

There's several reasons that it's been phased out in favour of CAN but it will always have a special place in my heart....