How to clean Engine Bay (Lupo 1.0 X Reg)

Loupdy

Hi All, 

im wanting to clean my engine bay, its looking quite dirty and sandy (beach on a windy day).  

can anyone recommend good and affordable cleaning products? Or any tips and tricks? Water is something i'd prefer to avoid as there are various wires exposed. 

I also recently had an oil pipe leak, so there is some oil residue and i want to get that cleaned away, to help in any future diagnosis, if any (fingers crossed not for a long time). 

Cheers! :)

Never ever ever ever jet wash or wet wash an engine bay. There are dry rotating rubber seals on various components that usually wear afetr a few years, so are not good at keeping water out. When you wet wash an old engine, any particles of dirt and grime get washed into the tiny gap between the seal and the rotating shaft, then into the bearing. Then you'll need to replace the bearing(s)...

If it's really bad, simply wipe it down bit by bit. I've seen people use kerosene or paraffin (heating oil) to clean engine bays, which is better than water, but won't leave a shiny clean surface.

Yeah, i agree. Water = bad! I've seen videos of people jet washing their engine bays and it's given me anxiety just watching them!! Can't imagine violating my Lupo like that. 

I'll probably just get some soft brushes and cloths and see what i can do. I have seen some car engine degreaser online too, so i'll probs just buy that.