My Gti rad fan is only working high speed.

Lupo_Gti_Kor

Hello, I'm the owner of lupo gti, who is running alone in Korea. I have a few questions regarding the cooling system.

1. My lupo gti's rad fan works only high speed at 110 degrees as confirmed by the OBD.  Which part should I check and fix? 

Could the A/C fan control unit(1j0919506k) be a problem? Two years ago, on a very heavy rainy day, it was a problem when I stepped on a puddle of water. The AC compressor didn't work and the fan turned and turned off every 10 seconds. After drying it, it is temporarily used by fixing it with a cable tie.

2. If I turn off the engine while the fan is running, will it be maintained? In my case, the fan turns off as it is.

*It may not sound natural because using a translator. Please excuse me. 

31EF6EB3-E719-404D-B3CE-902E0404F379.jpg

Edited by Lupo_Gti_Kor

Oh, what a beauty! White gti. Very nice! 👍🏻 I want your car.

The fan motor has two speeds. The fast speed is controlled by supplying power to connector pins 1 & 3 (i think), and slow speed to pins 1 & 2. Inside the motor is a heavy resistor which reduces the voltage to make it run at low speed.

The resistor always breaks after a few years. You can add an external circuit or resistor in the wiring (i use a 50w headlamp bulb wrapped in metal foil), so that the fan runs normally, fast and slow.

1. Test the fan motor by supplying power to it, to prove the resistor is broken.

2. If the fan motor is faulty, you can either buy a new motor or add an external resistor (or speed control circuit).

3. If the fan motor is ok, then the problem is usually the control unit or the power supply. Sometimes the power from the main big fuse block is loose (common vw problem). The control units are usually reliable.

More pics please! :)

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, mk2 said:

Oh, what a beauty! White gti. Very nice! 👍🏻 I want your car.

The fan motor has two speeds. The fast speed is controlled by supplying power to connector pins 1 & 3 (i think), and slow speed to pins 1 & 2. Inside the motor is a heavy resistor which reduces the voltage to make it run at low speed.

The resistor always breaks after a few years. You can add an external circuit or resistor in the wiring (i use a 50w headlamp bulb wrapped in metal foil), so that the fan runs normally, fast and slow.

1. Test the fan motor by supplying power to it, to prove the resistor is broken.

2. If the fan motor is faulty, you can either buy a new motor or add an external resistor (or speed control circuit).

3. If the fan motor is ok, then the problem is usually the control unit or the power supply. Sometimes the power from the main big fuse block is loose (common vw problem). The control units are usually reliable.

More pics please! :)

Thanks for reply!

1. Like I said in the last question, I don't understand how to connect the 50w bulb wrapped in metal foil. Does it act as a resistor and make the slow fan work? I think it would be easy to understand if I had a picture.

2. Is it right that if I turn off the engine while the fan is running, the fan stops together? Other Volkswagen cars keep the fan running when they turn off the engine and then stop.

A7D87D64-9175-4EF1-8D5A-2E680CC63ACA.jpeg

EE68A125-055C-4D96-B8E1-1CCE1F886A2C.jpeg

9547AF85-194E-47C5-AFF1-A481E92871DA.jpeg

On 2/6/2021 at 7:37 PM, Lupo_Gti_Kor said:

Hello, I'm the owner of lupo gti, who is running alone in Korea. I have a few questions regarding the cooling system.

1. My lupo gti's rad fan works only high speed at 110 degrees as confirmed by the OBD.  Which part should I check and fix? 

Could the A/C fan control unit(1j0919506k) be a problem? Two years ago, on a very heavy rainy day, it was a problem when I stepped on a puddle of water. The AC compressor didn't work and the fan turned and turned off every 10 seconds. After drying it, it is temporarily used by fixing it with a cable tie.

2. If I turn off the engine while the fan is running, will it be maintained? In my case, the fan turns off as it is.

I think your fan switch is broken, You can easy test it by removing connector and putting a wire in, to connect bottom and one of top pins (one goes for low speed and other one for high speed) Since I accidentally replaced mine with cheap 2 pin swich, mine works only at full speed 😕.

Image for information:

s-l300.jpg

9 hours ago, ObjectiveAway said:

I think your fan switch is broken, You can easy test it by removing connector and putting a wire in, to connect bottom and one of top pins (one goes for low speed and other one for high speed) Since I accidentally replaced mine with cheap 2 pin swich, mine works only at full speed 😕.

Image for information:

s-l300.jpg

where is the location??

ive a similar problem in my gti, im putting it down tot he resistor in the fan as i cant hot wire it to come on slow.

Fans are pretty pricey so i just wired it to come on at a low temp, ill cough up the cash one day to get a new one

9 minutes ago, imaparana said:

ive a similar problem in my gti, im putting it down tot he resistor in the fan as i cant hot wire it to come on slow

Sounds like we need another "how-to", as it's such a common problem across the entire vdub model range. I don't have a gti at the moment, so tricky. @Skezza feeling enthusiastic?

I can draw the diagrams, but there's nothing i can take pics of. @bernd, how's your cooling fan setup (you're the nearest to me with a gti)?

Just had a thought- i might have a polo 9N3 here at some point i could use, which is the closest setup to a gti.

Yeah, that'll do it. 👍🏻

I still like my headlight bulb method though. You don't need a heat sink or any fancy metalwork. Just two wires and some cable ties. And the lamp runs dim anyway, so only noticable at night. Eery glow from the engine bay through the rad if you don't wrap it in foil :)

16 hours ago, Lupo_Gti_Kor said:

where is the location??

It is located on plastic side shell of radiator, below top coolant pipe (therefore it is hard to remove it painlessly while your car is overheated). If the fan works on both speeds "hotwired" then its the switch, if it does not then problem is probably in fan. I don't know much about GTI, might be Lupo GTI has fan controller module, but even then you can check the fan by "hotwiring" it.

12 hours ago, mk2 said:

그래, 그렇게 할거야. 👍🏻

그래도 헤드 라이트 전구 방식이 마음에 듭니다. 방열판이나 화려한 금속 세공이 필요하지 않습니다. 전선 두 개와 케이블 타이 몇 개만 있으면됩니다. 그리고 램프는 어쨌든 어두워 져 밤에만 눈에.니다. 호일로 포장하지 않으면 엔진 베이에서 래드를 통해 빛납니다.:)

I think it's better to try this way. Then where exactly should I connect it?

21 hours ago, mk2 said:

그래, 그렇게 할거야. 👍🏻

그래도 헤드 라이트 전구 방식이 마음에 듭니다. 방열판이나 화려한 금속 세공이 필요하지 않습니다. 전선 두 개와 케이블 타이 몇 개만 있으면됩니다. 그리고 램프는 어쨌든 어두워 져 밤에만 눈에.니다. 호일로 포장하지 않으면 엔진 베이에서 래드를 통해 빛납니다.:)

I just did a fan test. High-speed fans working and low-speed fans don't.

Edited by Lupo_Gti_Kor