Door Checkstraps

My passenger side door checkstrap has decided it's finally had enough and now sounds like two gunshots when attempting to close the door. It might therefore be time it is changed...

Question is has anyone purchased an eBay Special checkstrap that is still available and found it to be good? If so, please link me so I can buy as some of them have absolutely terrible reviews.

Edited by mickster
grammar

A bit of heatshrink lasts about 6 months as a temporary fix... The noise comes from the hole in the strap becoming too big from wear. Yeah the ebay types work ok. Same as OEM. I think they are OEM.

Add a couple of drops of thread lock to the two threads on that strap bolt :)

Thanks folks, I'm loath to give VW the money as clearly the original design isn't fantastic! I'm told many of the eBay specials replace the rubber part that breaks with a metal part that is less likely to. I have seen the bodge in the how to section but would rather just get it done properly, this video makes it look fairly simple(!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmGxBtAn7HE

I changed my drivers one maybe 6 months ago for an Ebay special. it's still good now, so for the money I paid I'm happy with it. It was pretty straightforward to change, think that's the video I used for reference aswell actually!

• 2 weeks later...

Press in an oilite bearing. I did it using a set of pliers. Hammer pin in. Never replace again. Heat shrink does work indeed. I think it was me that came up with that idea :D

Thanks Skezza, assuming the design is the same I may do that with my sister's Fox which at the present time only has early signs of the checkstrap going. I've actually been driving the Fox quite a lot lately and it's really grown on me - weird then getting into a Lupo which feels like you are sat on the floor!

A few days after making this thread I bought a pair of eBay special checkstraps, but the Loop needs to go for a mega service to fix an array of niggles when I am finally able to drive up to my Dad's and make use of his garage with it's pit. I'll report back on whether they are any good or not, but for now I'm the doddery Sunday driver in the blue Fox with the black box...