Stainless GTI exhaust recommendations

Will Cheyney

I’m thinking of swapping out the OEM exhaust on my GTI for a stainless steel replacement. Nothing drastically wrong with the original one, but the years are taking its toll on the ferrous metal of the existing one. So I’m doing my research now!

I want to keep the dual tail pipe look, go full stainless steel and I don’t want anything that sounds silly. A small increase in tone would be nice.

I’ve boiled it down to either the Janspeed or Kam Racing options.

The Janspeed is a bit more of a straightforward cat back swap out, where as the Kam Racing one seems to have a few options that I would need help choosing.
Not being anything of an expert in this domain I thought I’d ask here to gauge opinion.

A new Janspeed cat back is £510 inc VAT.

Thanks 😊 

Janspeed ones have done up in price since I bought a couple years back! I ended up sending it back, as when it was fitted it was wonky... And this seems to be a trait with the Janspeed option as I have been round shows and you can tell which lupos have Janspeed exhausts! 😁

I ended up getting a custom one made, and it ended up being about £100 cheaper than a Janspeed on. So there is always that as a third option!

I have a Janspeed on mine, never found it wonky fitting though! I got lucky and seem to have one of the last with the slightly smaller, more OE sized tail pipes, the later ones are bigger I believe. Had mine fitted about 6 or so years ago now, think I paid around £320ish for a cat-back system. Love the noise, not droney or loud, just a subtle increase so you know its there. 

Other option is as Jacamo said, have a custom one made up, you can tailor it to how you want it then and will probably work out cheaper.

7 hours ago, Jacamo97 said:

Janspeed ones have done up in price since I bought a couple years back! I ended up sending it back, as when it was fitted it was wonky... And this seems to be a trait with the Janspeed option as I have been round shows and you can tell which lupos have Janspeed exhausts! 😁

I ended up getting a custom one made, and it ended up being about £100 cheaper than a Janspeed on. So there is always that as a third option!

I'm sure mine's a janspeed.. and it doesn't sit wonky? 

IMG-20201109-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.402cbf051f536032332d9b3338a80547.jpeg

Edited by sj2112
Spelling.

3 hours ago, Will Cheyney said:

I’m thinking of swapping out the OEM exhaust on my GTI for a stainless steel replacement. Nothing drastically wrong with the original one, but the years are taking its toll on the ferrous metal of the existing one. So I’m doing my research now!

I want to keep the dual tail pipe look, go full stainless steel and I don’t want anything that sounds silly. A small increase in tone would be nice.

I’ve boiled it down to either the Janspeed or Kam Racing options.

The Janspeed is a bit more of a straightforward cat back swap out, where as the Kam Racing one seems to have a few options that I would need help choosing.
Not being anything of an expert in this domain I thought I’d ask here to gauge opinion.

A new Janspeed cat back is £510 inc VAT.

Thanks 😊 

I can help save you the outlay by taking your beautiful Laser blue GTI off your hands 😁

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, sj2112 said:

I'm sure mines a janspeed as doesn't sit winky? 

IMG-20201109-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.402cbf051f536032332d9b3338a80547.jpeg

Yea, definitely Janspeed. I've attached what it looked like. They were really good about it though and even though it had been fitted I could send it back for a full refund... Then as I said, saved £100 and got a custom one done! Don't think I'll ever buy a branded exhaust again haha had a couple of custom ones from the same place and they've always been great! When I got to the custom place they said that the Janspeed one would have needed the brackets fabricating to fit without any wonkiness  

Also just checked and it was £350 inc postage in Feb 2018

20180210_150848.jpg

• Like 1

I went to my local exhaust shop (Keltec Performance Leeds) for a custom job as the Kam racing system is expensive and couldn't get a used or new Janspeed system at the time.

Mine looks very OEM and slightly louder than factory but not massively as it still retains 2 boxes slightly bigger tailpipes. Mainly upgraded to keep the car on the road for longer.