best performance mods for lupo 1.4 16v 75bhp

Jakesartin123

It can't be upgraded to Sport Spec, only things you can do will be traditional tuning stuff like improved air flow and free flowing exhaust, not worth the bother, and even if you could you are left with deficient brakes. There is very little scope for tuning the petrol engines anywhere in the range, to tune the GTI, some owners opt for the 2 litre 5 valve turbo unit from a Golf. 

Yep, @weslangdon is absolutely correct :)

The amount of money you need to spend to enhance your lupo a decent amount would be more than simply buying a more expensive car. It's not easy modding most modern era cars ('96 or later) bacause the manufacturers have already tried to max everything out. Smaller engines, higher levels of tuning already. If electric cars weren't the "in" thing, I reckon we'd soon be seeing 0.4 litre engines that chuck out 100hp... Ford have done some very clever stuff with their tiny engines, so much so that even the Americans are using european design stuff.

Talking about 100hp, lupo 1.4 16v sport version has 100hp, and thats 25hp more than regular 1.4 16v engine, might be, if parts are available, that could be easy upgrade. 

On 7/24/2012 at 9:05 PM, adam bmx said:

different inlet cam, metal inlet manifold, ecu, bigger throttle body. bigger brakes, exhaust manifold and different gear ratios and most importantly the insurance difference :twisted:

On 1/4/2021 at 11:41 AM, weslangdon said:

Lots of work, I think you would need to match the ECU, and don't forget the Sport has bigger front brakes, rear discs, and a lower valance with fog lights, better seats too

Yes, thats not an easy thing to do but straight swap, I think ECU might have the same pins and socket, if Jakesartin can get a set to upgrade his engine to Sport version, then it might work.

Since he was not interested in anything else than power increase, I think brakes upgrade might be not yet necessary for him.

I disagree this time, there only 19mm difference of front brakes for 16v and sport version. A friend of mine had 100hp 1.2TDI 3L, he didn't felt like the brakes are too weak to stop the car. If you modify your car and increase weight or if you want to drive track then good brakes are must have, but not on daily car, on road you have plenty of time to cool them down.

6 hours ago, weslangdon said:

25% more power on marginal brakes is unwise, actually if you want to get the best out of your cars performance better brakes should be your very first move