My first lupo

Azmk1

Hello everyone. My name is Az and I have finally purchased a lupo. 

I had been close to buying a vw up on a few occasions in the past but I knew i would regret not buying a lupo instead, as I always felt the lupo had more character and was better built.

The lupo I purchased  was a project and I wouldn’t have gone for it, if it wasn’t for the colour, laser blue.

The car is a tdi and I purchased it with a broken engine/turbo. I have a replacement  engine/turbo ready to fit and I have started to begin the process however I am having difficulty regarding the AC.

I thought it would be possible to unbolt the compressor and remove the condensor without recovering the refrigerant. However this seems impossible as it appears I can’t remove the condensor from the front lock carrier without removing the entire lock carrier and in the process disconnecting the ac lines. I was hoping to leave the ac circuit closed and move the condensor/compressor to one side and remove the engine from the front,  but this doesn’t seem possible.

Does anyone know if I can remove the engine without recovering the refrigerant? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

6CB823E9-B32E-4939-9B32-D62817EE1ED7.jpeg

Nice colour. Will be great when back on the road! 👍🏻

I've done it in a polo, but you need to raise the car, then lower the engine down and out of the front, below the AC lines and condensor. Not easy. Be careful that you don't bend the ac low pressure pipe on the driver's side, just above the chassis rail. It doesn't flex much either.

How much did you pay for the rolling chassis? The amf engine is expensive to replace. 

Welcome to club lupo. :)

is this the start of a build thread with lots of pics as you restore it?

On 12/1/2020 at 8:46 PM, mk2 said:

Nice colour. Will be great when back on the road! 👍🏻

I've done it in a polo, but you need to raise the car, then lower the engine down and out of the front, below the AC lines and condensor. Not easy. Be careful that you don't bend the ac low pressure pipe on the driver's side, just above the chassis rail. It doesn't flex much either.

How much did you pay for the rolling chassis? The amf engine is expensive to replace. 

Welcome to club lupo. :)

is this the start of a build thread with lots of pics as you restore it?

Thanks for the reply mk2. 

Dropping the engine from the bottom does sound difficult and I’m not confident I will be able to do it.

I think I’m going to get the refrigerant professionally recovered and take the engine out from front.

The lupo cost me £250 and the amf engine £200. The engine comes with a nearly new clutch and has had its Cambelt replaced recently.

i don’t know about a build thread per se but I’ll update this thread as I progress.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:49 PM, weslangdon said:

A/c is very rare in the UK because we don't have many days when its needed, very nice colour I had an Arosa TDI & a Sport in a similar shade of blue

You’re right. Ac is useful for a few weeks a year, if that. 

Thanks for the comment regarding the colour.

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to borrow a pallet pump truck, as I don’t have an engine hoist,which made removing the engine/gearbox much easier.

With the old engine removed, I separated the gearbox and began the process of reattaching it to the replacement engine. This took longer than expected as the gearbox was heavier than I thought it would be. After around 30minutes I finally managed it.

It then took me another 1 hour of fiddling  to place the replacement engine and gearbox back in the vehicle and secure to the mounts

10C69D16-71C4-4C53-9549-3E80FCEF3BC2.jpeg

243EE6A5-8034-4AF2-93C5-280CFEC1BD06.jpeg